Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1945 Douglas MacArthur, Eisenhower medal.

Article about: Hello all I went to the antiques show on Sunday and picked up some badges and pins, and such. But I found this silver medal but I can't find much on it. The only medal I have seen on the int

Default 1945 Douglas MacArthur, Eisenhower medal.

Hello all I went to the antiques show on Sunday and picked up some badges and pins, and such. But I found this silver medal but I can't find much on it. The only medal I have seen on the internet is located at ebay. Alought It seems that medal is brass. Has anyone seen this kind of medal before. Any help is much appreciated. Here are some pictures, 1945 Douglas MacArthur, Eisenhower medal.1945 Douglas MacArthur, Eisenhower medal.1945 Douglas MacArthur, Eisenhower medal.1945 Douglas MacArthur, Eisenhower medal.

From Alex

Default Re: 1945 Douglas MacArthur, Eisenhower medal.

Hi Alex. This is a commemorative coin/token. It's possible that medalions
    like these were given out for fill ups at gas stations.........

( I like the marksmanship and drivers badges,
    as well as the Major insignia )
    Regards,

Steve.

Walkwolf, Thank you for the information. Now doing more research but looking in the token range. How much do you like the marksmanship and drivers badges, and the Major insignia ? But thank you I think they look great with the red background.

From Alex

Of the three grades that you have, the 'Sterling' marked badges
    could be WWII era, but the '1/20th silver filled' ones are likely
    from the 60's or 70's. You need to replace two 'small bore'
    bars on the badges without them.........
    Regards,

Steve.

After the end of one of the most horrendous and drawn out wars the US had ever been involved in to date, there were Endless commemorative and celebratory tokens, medals, and nick-knacks proclaiming Victory and Peace! Sadly, the war had barely ended when Korea began making problems(kinda like Today, when I think about it). So, no-as Steve said, unless it's made of solid silver and was for a limited issue run, these little medals and tokens are quite commonly seen and not worth a great deal, but it doesn't make them any less collectable or interesting, of course. I imagine that if a person wanted to, that they could put together a quite sizable collection just of post-war things like this and for a very reasonable small investment of money. It would certainly keep a person occupied for years, looking for new and different pieces! Not Everything collectable Has to have a huge price tag! Sometimes a person gets lucky and becomes interested in something that will Not make him take out second mortgages on their homes!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Steve, I was thinking that the sterling silver was about WW2, and the silver filled was latter because of the clutch back pins. One thing that I saw that did confuse me was a silver filled clutch back pin (expert if I do believe) marksmanship pin, the odd thing was it looked like it was die-cast. For any that does not know, die-cast is not metallic, and is a grayish color. The easiest way to tell if it is die-cast is to look for a few small or large circles that are uniform in nature, as shown in this picture. 1945 Douglas MacArthur, Eisenhower medal.. I don't know if that badge was a fake or not. Once I find my needle nose pliers i'll fix the small bore "clips?". i did not realize it tell earlier to day, but I am missing the "clip" for the drivers badge. I hope I can get it next month, if not sooner.

Wagriff, I just find it odd that I have not seen any one else selling the coin/token, I am not going to sell it. It's in my personal collection, but it is nice to the history behind it and know what it's worth. I have not heard yet what NK. did now. I believe it's made of solid silver. Oh yea I really think it's really cool, and not for sale! . you have a good point in having a collection of just post war items, that would look pretty cool too!

From Alex