Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Air force cross..usa..great find

Article about: Hello all here is a medal we dont see to much of...The AIR FORCE CROSS.. this one is a 1960 version it has H.L.P. stamped on the left arm...(some discolouration on the cross) This decoration

Default Air force cross..usa..great find

Hello all here is a medal we dont see to much of...The AIR FORCE CROSS..
    this one is a 1960 version it has H.L.P. stamped on the left arm...(some discolouration on the cross)
    This decoration was established by Congress, Public Law 88-593, on July 6, 1960, amended Section 8742 of Title 10, U.S. Code to change the designation of "Distinguished Service Cross" to "Air Force Cross" in case of awards made under Air Force Authority. This cross, therefore, is the Air Force version of the Distinguished Service Cross. It is awarded for extraordinary heroism, not justifying the award of a Medal of Honor, to any person, who while serving with the U.S. Air Force while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in conflict against an opposing Armed Force in which the United States in not a belligerent party.

The decoration was designed by Eleanor Cox, an employee of the Air Force and was sculpted by Thomas Hudson Jones of the Institute of Heraldry. It is a bronze cross with an oxidized satin finish. Centered on the obverse of the cross is a gold-plated American bald eagle, wings displayed against a cloud formation, (as used on the seal of the Air Force). This design is encircled by a laurel wreath in green enamel, edged in gold. The reverse of the cross is blank and suitable for engraving.

The ribbon has a very wide center stripe of Brittany blue with narrow stripes of white and red at the edges. Almost identical to the Distinguished Service Cross, except for the lighter blue center stripe, indicating the close connection of these awards.

The first award of the Air Force Cross was a posthumous presentation to Maj. Rudolf Anderson Jr., For extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy from 15 October 1962 to 27 October 1962. The action took place during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The Cross was presented by President Kennedy to the widow of the major at the White House.
    Only around 200 awarded....but without any paperwork its just a medal...

Our principle is that the Party commands the gun and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Air force cross..usa..great find   Air force cross..usa..great find  

Air force cross..usa..great find  

Default Re: Air force cross..usa..great find

Very interesting, thanks for showing.

?

Darren.
    A nice example of what is becoming a harder to find medal and these early ones are the ones to have. I used to have one myself and now regret selling it as I let it go too cheap!! The quality of this one will be excellent compared with the newer strikes.

Rob

Owning an early Air Force Cross myself, let me say that you have an excellent example of a scarce medal

Very nice, not often seen medal......... !
    Regards,

Steve.

For awhile, it was illegal for Americans to own this medal unless it was issued to them personally.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

thanks guys..wagriff you can buy them on some official us medal sites but they look for your award details and they will check you out with military records.....

Hi Darren, Until they just recently repealed the "Stolen Valor Act" law, the Air Force Cross was one of the few forbidden to buy or own privately US medals unless it was issued to you. But, today, now that they law has been overturned, they can be openly bought and sold by anyone who wishes. I don't know if that's a Good thing or a Bad thing, but the law has been negated now. I Do believe there are still restricted ownerships for the Congressional Medal of Honor still, though.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."