MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aircrew europe grouping

Article about: Thats a good one.

Default Aircrew europe grouping

Hi i would like to show my recent medal purchase and tell the story of how the man who flew never lived to receive them.Its a tribute for the ultimate sacrifice of this man 20 years old and the crew who he flew with like so many other aircrew who paid the ultimate sacrifice.Without the events and names mentioned these would just be another grouping of medals and the name of the airmen would be forgotten just like many groupings over the years.I see these items as much more than money they are literally items from people who will be braver than me and when i hold them i hold them with thought respect and honour.It is a shame that people dont keep hold of their loved ones medals perhaps they just want to forget.They are sold for many reasons or thrown away these medals were on ebay verylocal to me.I contacted the guy so i could go around and have a look to make sure they were genuine as with aircrew europe its a minefield.I got round they looked 100% and he told me he was given them when he was a young lad collecting militaria which he gave up many years ago and these just sat in a draw.I did the cheeky thing of asking if he wanted to cut out ebay and to be fair he said no but i thought id ask.Later when i got home my wife said you have just been to look at some medals a lump in the throat was followed by o yes just looking how do you know.Well its a small world it was only my Wifes freinds husbands best mate if that makes sense! im quite easy to describe apparently burly with a shaven head! well ive been around countless elderly peoples homes that have called my ads over the years and i hope i have never scared them lol.Anyway the auction ended the next evening and in the mean time i did a bit of research as the guy only knew them a a box of medals.To be completely gobsmacked takes a lot for me when i looked into the circumstances of the medals being addressed to Flight/sgt Clive Telfers mother.The date date was 19th November 1943 Halifax HX181 ZA-K from 10 squadron was detailed to bomb a target in Leverkusen.The crew Flight/ sgt Holdsworth (Pilot),Sgt Steel (Flight engineer),Sgt Telfer (Navigator/R.A.F.V.R),Sgt Oudinot (Air bomber/R.A.F.V.R),Sgt Downs (Wireless air gunner/R.A.F.V.R),Flight/sgt Harper (Air gunner/RAAF),Sgt Smith (Air gunner/R.A.F.V.R). took off at 16.22 from R.a.f Melbourne Yorkshire.As far as im aware up to now more research needed the target was bombed succesfully but many returning aircraft from the raid encountered terrible fog when they got to England.The aircraft i think because of the fog diverted to land at R.a.f Tangmere (famous for its role in the battle of Britain).The Halifax along with all crew crashed at 21.35 into a servicing hanger while attempting to land.No crew survived despite the efforts of personnel at Tangmere.As a result of the crash on the hangar 6 Typhoons,3 Spitfires and 2 Lysanders were destroyed.Flight sergeant Clive Telfer was buried in Morden cemetry Surrey and i plan to visit his grave and pay my respects in the summer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircrew europe grouping   Aircrew europe grouping  

Aircrew europe grouping   Aircrew europe grouping  

Default Re: Aircrew europe grouping

Thanks for relating his story.

A very nice group. Glad you got them.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Here's some more info for members who may be interested Courtesy of Col Bruggy, RAF Commands.
    QUOTE:
    19/20 November 1943
    No.10 Sqn.
    Halifax II HX181: ZA-K
    Op: Leverkusen

Took off 1622 Melbourne. Crashed 2135 onto a hangar at Tangmere airfield, Sussex. All are buried in various cemeteries within the United Kingdom.

1015613 F/Sgt (Pilot) Benjamin HOLDSWORTH RAFVR +
    578363 Sgt (Flt. Eng.)Raymond James Harry STEEL RAF +
    1390492 Sgt (Nav./B) Clive TELFER RAFVR +
    1397140 Sgt (Air Bomb.) Albert James OUDINOT RAFVR +
    1119224 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Robert Vernon DOWNS RAFVR +
    AUS421975 F/Sgt (Air Gnr.) John HARPER RAAF +
    1338514 Sgt (Air Gnr.) Charles Edward SMITH RAFVR +

See: BCL4/387

Typhoon EK141 - OV-X - No.197 Sqn. DBF in hangar Tangmere - 20-11-1943
    Typhoon JP501 - SA-R - No.486 Sqn. DBF in hangar Tangmere - 20-11-1943
    Typhoon JP680 - OV-S - No.197 Sqn. DBF in hangar Tangmere - 20-11-1943
    Typhoon JP787 - OV-K - No.197 Sqn. DBF in hangar Tangmere - 20-11-1943
    Typhoon JP853 - SA-K - No.486 Sqn. DBF in hangar Tangmere - 20-11-1943
    Typhoon JP970 - OV-L - No.197 Sqn. DBF in hangar Tangmere - 20-11-1943

Note: These six Typhoons, plus three Spitfires and two Lysanders, were destroyed when a 10 Squadron Halifax II HX181, crashed into the servicing hangar while attempting to land at Tangmere. Despite valiant efforts by the station personnel, the crew perished.

In Memory of
    Flight Sergeant BENJAMIN HOLDSWORTH

1015613, 10 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    who died age 23
    on 19 November 1943
    Son of Benjamin and Rose Annie Holdsworth, of Cross Gates, Leeds.
    Remembered with honour
    MANSTON (ST. JAMES) CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
    Sergeant RAYMOND JAMES HARRY STEEL

578363, 10 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
    who died age 19
    on 19 November 1943
    Son of Capt. George Wilfred Steel and Mabel Matilda Steel, of March.
    Remembered with honour
    MARCH (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
    Flight Sergeant CLIVE TELFER

1390942, 10 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    who died age 20
    on 19 November 1943
    Son of James Henry and Hilda Telfer, of Clapham Common, London.
    Remembered with honour
    MORDEN CEMETERY

In Memory of
    Sergeant ALBERT JAMES OUDINOT

1397140, 10 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    who died
    on 19 November 1943

Remembered with honour
    LEWISHAM (LADYWELL) CEMETERY

In Memory of
    Sergeant ROBERT VERNON DOWNS

1119224, 10 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    who died age 22
    on 19 November 1943
    Son of Robert and Edith May Downs, of Tirphil.
    Remembered with honour
    GELLYGAER (GWAELODYBRITHDIR) CEMETERY

In Memory of
    Flight Sergeant JOHN HARPER

421975, Royal Australian Air Force
    who died age 28
    on 19 November 1943
    Son of Matthew Henry and Margaret Annie Harper; husband of Edythe Patricia Harper, of Paxton, New South Wales, Australia.
    Remembered with honour
    EAST MURTON, COLD HESLEDON AND DALTON-LE-DALE BURIAL GROUND

In Memory of
    Sergeant CHARLES EDWARD SMITH

1338514, 10 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    who died age 21
    on 19 November 1943
    Son of Arnold Charles and Dorothy Smith, of Leagrave, Luton.
    Remembered with honour
    BISCOT (HOLY TRINITY) CHURCHYARD
    END QUOTE:

There has been speculation amongst F/Sgt. Holdsworths family after attempting to find out the details of their sons death at the time of the crash that the aircraft could not make it back to Melbourne and tried, but failed to get down at RAF Ford. They diverted to Tangmere and one eye witness stated that he thought the aircraft appeared seriously damaged as it passed over him. It was thought at the time that the pilot may have been wounded or dead and another member of the crew was trying to land the bomber. Other eyewitnesses stated that the aircrafts engines failed due to lack of fuel and crashed into the maintenance hanger, but it may have stalled and gone in. None of these possible occurances are mentioned in the crash report and may be conjecture.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi,
    what a nice group of medals never been on the ribbons, Thanks for showing them and Ned great piece of history
    thanks.
    dave.

Thanks guys will have to go to Hendon and get a copy of the official accident card.The air ministry had a usual way of blaming the Pilot as error a very common thing guess this is what happened.

?

Very nice medal grouping the monatary value of such a grouping pails in comparison to the the known history of the aviator and his mates who gave there lives for King and Country . To me this is priceless and you can not put a value on such a thing as so much is lost to us now as to the history behind are service men and woman who made the ultimate sacrifice has been lost do to the passage of time.
    My hats off to you and Big ned for delving into the details and sharing them with us keep them safe and document them well.

Regards Mark K

I wonder if any such photographs exist of this incident or any 10 squadron crew photographs.Would be curious to see what they all looked like terribly young and such a waste like so many before and after.

4md
    ?

great medal group, and an excellent story, well done

kc1
    ?

Any chance of a close up of the ACE star please.

Here is a close up ACE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircrew europe grouping   Aircrew europe grouping  

Aircrew europe grouping  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast