Aircrew europe grouping

Article about: Thats a good one.

kc1
    ?

Default Re: Aircrew europe grouping

Thats a good one.

Hi Airworrior,
    very nice medal you have thanks for showing it close up, here is a similar story of a pilot it is my dads cousin F/Sgt,
    George Pendrill D.F.M, he flew the Manchester bomber they had been on a raid over france and had some A.A, damage.
    He flew the plane back to R.A.F, Conningsby and on landing over flew the runway he tried to take the aircraft up but it stalled and crashed killing all the crew. the photo is of an earlier time, but note the flak damage in the cockpit window.
    He was in the 97th Sqdn, and killed at the age of 21yrs on 18.12.1941.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircrew europe grouping  

Amazing story so many brave guys were killed on return crashing very sad to survive all that flak and fighter threat to be killed in an accident at base.The photo is absolutely cracking would you mind if i took a copy of that please for my records

Hi,
    you are quite welcome to take a copy, you will find if you google the 97th Sqdn, you will find all about him and the record of the crash ect. He had a good history whilst in the R.A.F,
    dave.

Thanks Dave

Here it is, courtesy of 97 Sqn Association.

QUOTE:

Flight Sergeant George Pendrill in the cockpit of an Avro Manchester at Coningsby in 1941. He was one of the Squadron's prominent pilots in the months after it was reformed in February 1941. He was recommended for the award of the Distingushed Flying Medal after completing 15 operations. The recommendation for his award reads, "On the night of 14th November 1941, Acting Flight Sergeant Pendrill was detailed as Captain of a Manchester aircraft to lay a stick of mines in the middle of the heavily defended entrance to Kiel Bay. Through sheer determination and devotion to duty (in the face of adverse weather condtions) the flight of over 500 miles at 600 feet was made and, in the face of intense ant-aircraft fire, these mines were successfully laid. Two days later, Flight Sergeant Pendrill was detailed to attack a target in the Rhineland, which was successfully attacked and, on his return journey, he was attacked by an enemy fighter. This fighter was observed by three of the crew to be gradually closing in on our aircraft. Flight Sergeant Pendrill ordered the crew to hold their fire until pointblank range when the rear gunner stated that the enemy aircraft was approximately 500 yards away. The Captain of the aircraft then ordered the rear gunner to open fire. The fighter was then shot down and seen to crash in flames on the ground. This NCO has shown the greatest devotion to duty and courage in attacking his targets and has carried out nearly 100 hours of operational flying."

Notification of the award of the DFM to Flight Sergeant Pendrill appeared in the London Gazette on 2nd December 1941. Sadly, aged 21, he was killed 16 days later when his aircraft crashed at Coningsby when returning from a raid against enemy shipping at Brest
    END QUOTE.

The photo Dave has shown in this thread is above the citation I have copied here.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Wow special group.

?

I know this thread is 12 years old but I'm hoping that someone may see this!

It was wonderful to see these medals as Clive was part of my family. His parents kept every newspaper clipping about his operations and especially of his tragic death, in addition all official documents linked to his death, incluidng be notified he'd been killed, which I now have. His parents moved away from London at some point after the war and I'm wondering if that is why they never received his medals. It would be lovely to make contact with airwarrior and be able to share some more of Clive's story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2