Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ARTIC STAR (originals)

Article about: Evening gents, a quick question for those who may know! How do you determine if an Artic Star is a genuine award as I have never seen one as of yet? I know some copies are marked "copy&

Default ARTIC STAR (originals)

Evening gents, a quick question for those who may know! How do you determine if an Artic Star is a genuine award as I have never seen one as of yet? I know some copies are marked "copy" on the reverse, but I guess the originals are faked, so are there any "look out for" signs? I have seen one in the past that was in a blue box with a white name and number paper tag pasted to the bottom, is that correct?
    Any help would be most appreciated, thanks, Leon.

I will try and photograph an original awarded to a Arctic Convoy Vet in Nov, if you don't get an answer.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I had an original and donated it to a Museum I work with, that way they now have all the "Stars"

Dean O
    Canada

Hello Didier, thanks for the link, these are not the genuine MOD issue medals, the only difference I can really see between them and an original is the "loop" for the ribbon suspension ring. On the only image of a genuine one that I have (below) the "loop" is quite chunky where as the loop on the copies appears more like that on all the other original stars. Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images ARTIC STAR (originals) 

?

Thanks Leon
    the difference is only the small detail of the ring ?

are those good ?:
    https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/20...thumous-medal/

Honour at last for 'journey to hell' | Stuff.co.nz

Didier

Quote by bichon View Post
    Thanks Leon
    the difference is only the small detail of the ring ?

are those good ?:
    https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/20...thumous-medal/

Honour at last for 'journey to hell' | Stuff.co.nz

Didier
    Hi Didier, yes, I like those two awards that you have in the links you provided. The loop for the suspension ring is certainly thicker/wider on both of those compared to the ebay ones. Looks like that is at least one way of differentiating between a copy/fake and a good ARTIC STAR! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ARTIC STAR (originals)  
    Attached Images Attached Images ARTIC STAR (originals)  ARTIC STAR (originals) 

thank all for the info.

Here's the Ebay one for reference with the "thinner" loop for the ring. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ARTIC STAR (originals)