Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Australian or South African War Medal 1939- 1945

Article about: Hi all. Got this named War Medal the other day. It is named to Flight Lieutenant W. G. Jones. I know that Australian and South African medals were made of silver and officially named, but I

Default Australian or South African War Medal 1939- 1945

Hi all. Got this named War Medal the other day. It is named to Flight Lieutenant W. G. Jones. I know that Australian and South African medals were made of silver and officially named, but I would have expected to see a service number as well. I know that the chances of researching the recipient (especially with a name like Jones) are pretty slim, however if anyone is familiar with this type of naming and could tell me the country of origin it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian or South African War Medal 1939- 1945   Australian or South African War Medal 1939- 1945  

As I understand it only the Canadian medals were struck in silver and the South African ones whilst being named had the Prefix SA before the name so that seems to leave Australia?

Anybody else know more?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark. You may be right about only the Canadian medals being struck in silver.

?

I've just looked up the Australian WW2 nominal roll and there are only three W.G. JONES listed in the RAAF. Two sergeants and a corporal. My grandfather-in-law's Australian war medal (which was recently issued) is stamped in the rim with his service number, two initials and surname but no rank. Leads me to believe your one isn't Australian.

World War Two Nominal Roll

Thanks for that Alex. I did take a look at the nominal roll and came up with the same results as you. I was thinking that perhaps the naming style was a hangover from the First World War, when (at least British) officer's medals were only marked with rank and name?

Aust Army (not AIF) markings for reference