Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Berlin Airlift Medal

Article about: A friend of mine went for a short visit to Berlin last week and i asked him to look out for some militaria, i expected some TR or DDR stuff but he came back with this. He found the medal in

Harry get your coat mate!...

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    most of them guys had to land on the GREEN GREEN GRASS.
    Hey Harry, this is your longest post yet!!!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Does anybody know what group or squadron was involved in the Berlin airlift? I wonder to what extent they took the requirements for this medal.I read the amount of days and the course taken but was it the Gent's that were Flying it ,fueling the plane that flew it, working on the plane that flew it, loading it. driving the truck that loaded it, loading supplies on to the truck, packing the supplies that were loaded on the truck and so on and so on??????? Just a thought!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Does anybody know what group or squadron was involved in the Berlin airlift? I wonder to what extent they took the requirements for this medal.I read the amount of days and the course taken but was it the Gent's that were Flying it ,fueling the plane that flew it, working on the plane that flew it, loading it. driving the truck that loaded it, loading supplies on to the truck, packing the supplies that were loaded on the truck and so on and so on??????? Just a thought!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    This link shows the US units involved but don't forget the good ol' RAF!...
    Men Who Made The Berlin Airlift Work
    Criteria
    This medal was created for the single purpose of recognizing service during a single action (the Berlin Airlift) and was never issued again. The specific criteria for receipt of this award was established by Executive Order 10325, "Regulations governing the award of the Medal for Humane Action," of February 7, 1952.[3] To be awarded the Medal for Humane Action a service member was required to have performed over 120 days of duty, within the geographical boundary of Berlin, with such duty being in support of the Berlin Airlift between the dates of June 26, 1948 and September 30, 1949. Posthumous award may be made to any person who lost his life while, or as a direct result of, participating in the Berlin airlift, without regard to the length of such service, if otherwise eligible. Those so qualifying were also eligible for either the Army of Occupation Medal, or the Navy Occupation Service Medal, respectively with the Berlin Airlift Device, and both medals were authorized for simultaneous award and display.

So it looks like all aircrew and the US ground crew in Berlin got the award, most of the guys unloading the aircraft in Berlin were local civilians who were rewarded with extra rations, they must have worked pretty hard as i think the record for a 12 man crew unloading 10 tons from a C54 by hand was under 6 minutes!..

thats a nice early issue medal. especially for 10 dollars/euros

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2