Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

British Entitlement to WW2 US Victory Medal?

Article about: Hi all. I received a group including a boxed defence medal, a Royal Signals cap badge and this ribbon bar. I am puzzled by the presence of the ribbon for the US victory medal on the ribbon b

Default British Entitlement to WW2 US Victory Medal?

Hi all. I received a group including a boxed defence medal, a Royal Signals cap badge and this ribbon bar. I am puzzled by the presence of the ribbon for the US victory medal on the ribbon bar. I cannot find any information about British or Commonwealth soldiers being entitled to this award but I could be wrong?

Maybe it was "self awarded" but seems like a random medal to choose. Would there be any circumstances whereby a British soldier attached to the US army would be entitled?

According to his medal slip he does not appear to have ben eligible for any campaign stars, and a note in the box says that other awards he claimed for were inadmissible.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Entitlement to WW2 US Victory Medal?   British Entitlement to WW2 US Victory Medal?  

?

That is a head scratcher friend.

?

Could it have been gifted/awarded by senior US military as opposed to being entitled?
    I am thinking the noted claim for non-entitled medals could point towards a Walt though.

Oz.

That was in line with my thinking as well. Possibly served alongside American troops for a time and thought he was entitled to it.