Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

British WW1 Victory medal

Article about: another item I got at a giant local sale today I paid 5 dollars for this and the inscriptuion around the edges is weird even for the issuer it says 136 CIV, SAR, SAIF ALI. C, D, C, P.

Default British WW1 Victory medal

another item I got at a giant local sale today I paid 5 dollars for this and the inscriptuion around the edges is weird even for the issuer it says 136 CIV, SAR, SAIF ALI. C, D, C, P.

Default Re: British WW1 Victory medal

$5 is a great price mate, well done! I have my great grandfathers medals from WW1 and I think they're terrific. Around the edge it should have the blokes name and service number very finely engraved.

Quote by Richtofen View Post
    the inscriptuion around the edges is weird even for the issuer it says 136 CIV, SAR, SAIF ALI. C, D, C, P.
    It does seem unusual, but there will be an answer The usual format on this medal would be number - rank - initials - surname - unit. For example, the inscription on my granddad's India General Service Medal is "3949591 CPL H. BALL. WELCH R", i.e 3949591 Corporal Harold Ball, Welch Regiment . Saif Ali could well be an Indian man's name. Is there any chance you can photograph the inscription? I can't help thinking you may have read it wrong, and want to make sure.

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    It does seem unusual, but there will be an answer The usual format on this medal would be number - rank - initials - surname - unit. For example, the inscription on my granddad's India General Service Medal is "3949591 CPL H. BALL. WELCH R", i.e 3949591 Corporal Harold Ball, Welch Regiment . Saif Ali could well be an Indian man's name. Is there any chance you can photograph the inscription? I can't help thinking you may have read it wrong, and want to make sure.

Rob
    sorry i was unable to get a picture of the side as my camera wouldnt focus but i typed it out as it put into the medal

OK I think I have got it now. It should read:

136 CIV.SAR. SAIF ALI C.D.C.P.

which translates as 136 Civilian Sarwar Saif Ali, Camel Department Central Provinces. As I thought, Saif Ali is the man's name, and he was a 'Civilian Sarwar' in the CDCP.

I knew it would make sense once i got my head round it

Rob