Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Bronze Star Engraving - Is there a trick to telling if it's official?

Article about: Is there a way to know if this engraving is official WW2, personal engraved, CIB upgrade? It's on a slot brooch bronze star, but I know a lot of these were issued post WW2 for various reason

Default Bronze Star Engraving - Is there a trick to telling if it's official?

Is there a way to know if this engraving is official WW2, personal engraved, CIB upgrade? It's on a slot brooch bronze star, but I know a lot of these were issued post WW2 for various reasons, and the engravings always give me trouble. Your thoughts are appreciated.

As far as I've always known, WWII-era names were hand engraved. This one looks to be possibly 50's?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Could very well be 50's. I wish the image was a little clearer, as I can't quite tell if it's hand engraved or not. Some engraving looks almost machined, but I noticed where the tool starts and stops tends to leave a little dot, which isn't visible in the photo, perhaps due to poor image. I did find Louis E Mangold in the NARA archives, and there was only one by that name. He enlisted in 1942, from NY. But, who knows if this wasn't done later...and there were a number of styles. I can't for the life of me find any good information online to differentiate those styles, other than like you say, they were typically hand engraved.

Here's another similar medal engraving on a bronze star. Would this one appear more like WW2 vintage? It looks hand engraved to me, but I know there were multiple styles, and of course there are those that were done by the veterans.