Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

burma star group

Article about: Doing my usual weekend rounds of the local antique and collectors shops, I bought a group which consisted of the 39/45 star, Burma star, defence and war medal, they are mounted on a bar for

jwp
    ?

Default burma star group

Doing my usual weekend rounds of the local antique and collectors shops, I bought a group which consisted of the 39/45 star, Burma star, defence and war medal, they are mounted on a bar for wearing, it also included the box of issue and paperwork plus the medal ribbon bars,it is for a chap who lived local to me, the box has a return address for the air ministry in London so an RAF chap !, also included were some small snapshots of the memorial in khohima and an interesting document I have not seen before,it appears to be in 3 languages, Japanese and possibly Burmese ??, the English section is highlighted in red and reads : this man has ceased resistance, he should be given fair treatment and taken to the nearest officer. South east asia command. has anyone come across this before ?, I paid 70 uk pounds so maybe a little much, but i thought worth it to save a local mans history,
    thanks,
    John.
    ps: will scan the doc if anyone is interested.

i think you did well, sounds like a so called 'blood chit' or 'goolie chit' basically a safe passage warrant for a reward for natives to compensate them for defying the Japanese, widely used in the CBI, not sure how effective they were though....you basically got one of the two, medals or chit, for free.

Blood chit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jwp
    ?

Quote by asterperious View Post
    i think you did well, sounds like a so called 'blood chit' or 'goolie chit' basically a safe passage warrant for a reward for natives to compensate them for defying the Japanese, widely used in the CBI, not sure how effective they were though....you basically got one of the two, medals or chit, for free.

Blood chit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thanks for that you may be correct, this one is very thin delicate paper (anyone know how best to preserve this as too much handling will make it fall apart) scans of the pic burma star groupburma star groupburma star groupburma star groupburma star groupburma star groupand medals doc attached.

Slide the documents into protective plastic sleeves. They can be placed in
    a book or binder because of the holes along one side and available at
    most stationery or printing shops.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Just make sure they are neutral or archival sheet protectors, many are polypropelenes that off gas and can do more harm than good.

jwp
    ?

thanks for the good advice,
    cheers,
    John.