Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can You Identify Unknown Medal Ribbons

Article about: These mostly came with a mixed auction house lot (apparent dealer surplus lot including a WW1 Princess Mary Christmas Tin) that I've posted about before - here Only the ribbon bars were incl

Question Can You Identify Unknown Medal Ribbons

These mostly came with a mixed auction house lot (apparent dealer surplus lot including a WW1 Princess Mary Christmas Tin) that I've posted about before - here

Only the ribbon bars were included so I am having difficulty identifying some of the awards they represent...

The top one is particularly troublesome; not strictly a 'ribbon' and I'd not seen any pattern like that ... until research led me to the following eBay listing for something similar. Although the 'chevron' design & item construction are different on mine - so the lack of description doesn't really matter as much - but I've included it for interest/reference anyway!

eBay item 153207322052, Collectable Sterling Silver WW1 Medal Bar/Badge
    - listing pictures saved for future reference:

Anyway, for reference, lets label them from top (1) to bottom (6):

Bit of a mix but majority seem to be British / Commonwealth or US awards:

1. Unknown as above - WW1?
    2. Actually an offcut I've had for some time (rather than part of the lot) & which I believed to be a US award? But on review appears to be Italy Star (or earlier Jummoo & Kashmir Medal)
    3. Unknown - US "American Defense Medal" would appear to be possible match?
    4. Unknown
    5. Baltic Medal?
    6. Queen's South Africa (or Mediterranean) Medal

Can others more knowledgeable than me provide help / suggestions?
    Last edited by brickie501; 09-04-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Assistance below incorporated

#2 is a portion of the suspension ribbon for the British/Commonwealth Italy Star. #3 is the ribbon for the American Defense Service Medal.

The bottom one is the Queens South Africa Medal.

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    #2 is a portion of the suspension ribbon for the British/Commonwealth Italy Star...
    Can't believe I missed the Italy Star … which is much more likely than an obscure older medal! … although it appears to be an unusual re-use of the same ribbon for a (very different) British medal, even when separated by about half a century:
    Can You Identify Unknown Medal RibbonsCan You Identify Unknown Medal Ribbons