MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?

Article about: by lithgow Giz-Those are simply not the colours for the 1939-45 Star, indeed they don't match any Star, even if the colours were faded-will you provide pics please? Here's a link to the clas

Default Re: Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?

Hi Guys,

The medal arrived today. The medal itself is great! As you folks expected, the ribbon is severely faded! I'm on the hunt for a length of replacement ribbon.

THANKS, GUYS!

Court mounted WW2 medal group (my father's).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?  

Beautiful set! I bet you are quite proud of them!

I finally got around to taking a picture of it. As you can see, the ribbon has been severely faded.

Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?

I am still out on whether or not to replace the ribbon... I kind of like how salty it is. I folded the ribbon over itself and held it together with a paper clip because there is A LOT of glue residue on the on the ribbon... It's hidden this way.

Can anyone explain to me why Air Crew Europe stars are so expensive? Does it have anything to do with the mystique behind the RAF and Battle of Britain, or is it because there were fewer of them produced ... or a little bit of both?

The number awarded was far lower than the hundreds of thousands or millions that were eligible for the other Stars.

Here's a collector site, it's quick and concise, but informational Naming Styles on British War Medals & General Guide

just click on a picture of the medal and it will take you to the page for that one. Explains how it was awarded

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why Air Crew Europe stars are so expensive? Does it have anything to do with the mystique behind the RAF and Battle of Britain, or is it because there were fewer of them produced ... or a little bit of both?
    There were far fewer Air Crew Europe Stars awarded than the other, more common Stars. RAF Bomber Command took, of course, tremendous casualties during the war, and many were awarded posthumously. The only Star valued more highly is the !939-45 Star with an authentic Battle of Britain Clasp. These are often faked, along with the ACE Star.

BobS

Thanks, Bob!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3