Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

D-DAY Vets Legion d' Honneur.

Article about: Evening gents, as some of you may remember, my Granddad was on the first wave into Sword Beach on the 6th June 1944. I recently applied on his behalf (as he does not know the top from the bo

Default D-DAY Vets Legion d' Honneur.

Evening gents, as some of you may remember, my Granddad was on the first wave into Sword Beach on the 6th June 1944. I recently applied on his behalf (as he does not know the top from the bottom end of a computer) to the French authorities for the award of the Legion d' Honneur as it was granted to all surviving veterans of the Campaign to liberate France. Well nine months later it has turned up, so here is an image or two of Vic with his medal and document and it hanging in it's new home at my house along with his other awards. If I say so myself, one of many brave men from all over the world who risked or gave their lives in the fight against fascism. Leon.D-DAY Vets Legion d' Honneur.D-DAY Vets Legion d' Honneur.D-DAY Vets Legion d' Honneur.D-DAY Vets Legion d' Honneur.

Superb, thanks for showing !!

?

That is great friend. It is a fine thing to help get a well deserved honor for your grandfather.

You must be very proud !

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    You must be very proud !
    I certainly am my friend! Vic made it off the beach safely and fought for several weeks until being wounded in the leg by shrapnel as he was "digging in" at Troarn. The Panzer's moved quicker than his entrenching tool!! Leon.

Great to see!
    Best wishes to the old warrior.

Is that a 3 DIV triangle on his BD sleeve? I served in that formation twice over my time.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Congrats to your father - a hero - one of the 'Greatest Generation' !

A friends father was one of 10 Canadian Vets awarded one
    of these. Unfortunately, Sidney Glass passed away in
    early January 2016 - only a couple of weeks after
    the presentation.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Congrats to your father - a hero - one of the 'Greatest Generation' !

A friends father was one of 10 Canadian Vets awarded one
    of these. Unfortunately, Sidney Glass passed away in
    early January 2016 - only a couple of weeks after
    the presentation.........
    It was a great thing to be honored as a true warrior before he died. I am sure he rests well.

?

That's fantastic Leon.

I'd have liked to have done the same for my grandfather but he's no longer around to claim the medal.

Tony

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Great to see!
    Best wishes to the old warrior.

Is that a 3 DIV triangle on his BD sleeve? I served in that formation twice over my time.

Regards

Mark
    Hi Mark, yes, that is the 3rd Infantry Division insignia, he was in the 2nd Battlion and landed with the Lincoln Regiment.

Sad to hear that Sidney passed away not so long ago, these old boys are fading fast. I too am just glad that my Granddad has stayed around long enough to receive his award. Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast