Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Discharge letter Help!!

Article about: Hey guys i need help identifing these medals on my uncles discharge papers. Some have these weird letters that i have no clue what they are. Thanks Ryan

?

Default Discharge letter Help!!

Hey guys i need help identifing these medals on my uncles discharge papers. Some have these weird letters that i have no clue what they are.
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Discharge letter Help!!  

Default Re: Discharge letter Help!!

He was awarded a silver battle star, Servicemen were given one bronze star per campaign they were involved in a certain region, after you attain more than 4 bronze stars, you display a silver star instead. He would have received one star for each of the following : Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes , Rhineland and Central Europe.

My grandfather received two bronze stars for his service in Northern France and the Rhineland in the European/African/Middle East Campaign

your uncles star would be silver obviously.

or were you referring to the numbers following the listing for the units Meritorious Service Award?

?

yeah i was referring to the meritorious service award. Thanks for telling me that about the 4 bronze star= 1 sliver star i didnt know that.

?

The numbers and letters that are next to the meritorious service award is what i was referring to

?

The Meritorious Unit Award is awarded to "any military command which displays exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service, heroic deeds, or valorous actions." So beause your uncle belonged to such a unit that received that award, he was entitled to receive and wear that award on his uniform.

This link will explain in more detail:

Meritorious Unit Commendation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

Thanks Gary! Do you know what the numbers and letters are though next to the award posting are they his compony?

?

Quote by rbemer207 View Post
    Thanks Gary! Do you know what the numbers and letters are though next to the award posting are they his compony?
    "GO" means General Order, I believe 38 was the authorization for a particular award, most likely the Meritorious Unit Award, HQ is of course HeadQuarters and WD 45 is War Department 1945. So I'm guessing General Order # 38 authorized the issuing of the Meritorious Unit Award to your uncle by order of the War Department, 1945

Can you post a photo of the entire document?

?

Thanks Gary Again so so much! maybe later on ill post the paper but i will have to cut alot of things out for privacy reasons.