Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

engraved purple heart set

Article about: picked this up today cheap too, i think its ww2 from the pin engraved to Richard A. Masko

Default Re: engraved purple heart set

A lovely medal, I would like one of these I think.

I always thought 'For Military Merit' was not quite right for the message though for catching some frag in the ass.

?

No worries Rory it was a tongue in check remark and I know how hard it is to find good ones this side of the Pond . The fact that it is numbered and an enamel insert makes it an even better deal. How did you come across this one??

?

I spotted it at a fair Rob and straight away i checked if it was named, after seeing a name i took it straight away. For as you say they arent easy to aquire, just lucky. Ill probably be waiting a while before i get the chance again

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    A lovely medal, I would like one of these I think.

I always thought 'For Military Merit' was not quite right for the message though for catching some frag in the ass.
    Ah thats because the Purple Heart was not always awarded for wounds or as a posthumous award. I can't remember exactly but I don't think "Military Merit" PH's were awarded during WW2 but I recently saw a picture of one awarded in 1932 for Military Merit during WW1.

Hmm, I can't find anything on the wiki for the PH about being awarded for anything other than injuries sustained. The award is derived from an award called the Badge of Military Merit, which is probably the origin of the phrase on the back.

Purple Heart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While the majority of PH's are awarded for injuries sustained during combat, there are very rare instances where they are awarded for military merit. Those PH's are very rare and quite desirable. I just recently saw one sell for over $1200 with documentation to back up the name on the back. Rory, PM me, I may have an extra case that you can put that heart into

Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2