Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

family medal sold at auction

Article about: While doing some research on my grandmother's cousin who was a winner of the military medal and later killed during WW1, I came across an archive sale page from the London Dealers, Dix,Noona

Fantastic news!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Great ending and well done on all the hard work! I bet he is up there very happy its back in the family

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    My hats off as well to the person who purchased it from the dealer and realized the significance and how important it was to you to recover your families history and to return/sell it back.

Regards Mark
    Yep, that guy deserves a medal for looking beyond adding this one to his own collection!
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Wow, this is an amazing story! Congratulations on find it and getting it back within the family!

jwp
    ?

Been doing some research to see if I could find the action where Thomas won his military medal, working back from the London gazette date took me to the battle of Arras, the local newspaper archive provided another clue and from his records he was serving in D company a look in the unit war diary gave what I think must be the action.
    cheers,
    John.

family medal sold at auctionfamily medal sold at auctionfamily medal sold at auction

Adding a little meat to the bone, here is a pre-war picture of the officer, F R Williams, killed in the action you mention. Picture is from ancestry.
    Cheers, Tom

family medal sold at auction

Also, have you tried checking the war diary for Brigade/Divisional level (41 Brigade/14 Division)? Always worth checking in case they have lists of recommendations for men etc. Here's the link for Brigade level:
    41 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters. | The National Archives
    Cheers, Tom

jwp
    ?

Many thanks Tom, another part of the story indeed, will get the brigade diary and see if there's any mention, thanks again, much appreciated,
    regards,
    John.

jwp
    ?

Quote by thorne83 View Post
    Also, have you tried checking the war diary for Brigade/Divisional level (41 Brigade/14 Division)? Always worth checking in case they have lists of recommendations for men etc. Here's the link for Brigade level:
    41 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters. | The National Archives
    Cheers, Tom
    downloaded the brigade diary but no mention of Thomas , but still interesting as my grandfather served in the 14th div with 6th KOYLI so a few mentions of them, looks like Thomas and grandfather's paths would have crossed a few times !,
    cheers,
    John.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4