Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

General Service Medal 1918 with Palestine clasp - need info

Article about: Hello everyone I have recently acquired this medal, unfortunately without ribbon. The owner's name is inscribed on the edge - 4974045 PTE. E. WOOD. FORESTERS. As far as I found out, it might

Default General Service Medal 1918 with Palestine clasp - need info

Hello everyone
    I have recently acquired this medal, unfortunately without ribbon. The owner's name is inscribed on the edge - 4974045 PTE. E. WOOD. FORESTERS. As far as I found out, it might belong to a soldier from the 1st Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters Regiment which was deployed to the Middle East prior to the outbreak of WW2.
    I wanted to know whether there are more info to be found about Private Wood. Was he awarded other medals? Was he taken prisoner during Tobruk siege? etc.
    I would be very happy to find out more about the owner of this beautiful award.
    Thank you
    Best regards
    Sever (Romania)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture General Service Medal 1918 with Palestine clasp - need info   General Service Medal 1918 with Palestine clasp - need info  

I have had a quick look online but could not find anything, although it was only a cursory glance. Service records and documents for British soldiers past about 1922 have generally not yet been released by the government in the way that First World War records have.

Depending on how much you want to delve into it, it may be worth firing off an email to the Sherwood Foresters Regimental Museum at Nottingham Castle. They may well have inter- war attestation books and other documents and may be able to undertake research for you. Although be warned this will probably cost you whether it turns up any research or not.

I have a Palestine GSM to the North Staffs, but I have had to be content with trying to find out what the regiment was doing in Palestine generally.

He does appear in the UK Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949 on Ancestry.

Name: E Wood
    Service Date: 1936-1939
    Service Place: Palestine
    Campaign or Service: Palestine
    Regiment or Unit Name: 1st Battalion The Sherwood Foresters
    Regimental Number: 4974045

He is also shown in UK, British Prisoners of War, 1939-1945

Name: E Wood
    Army Number: 4974045
    Regiment: Sherwood Foresters
    POW Number: 275278
    Camp Type: Stalag
    Camp Number: IV-F
    Camp Location: Hartmannsdorf, Saxony

Thank you very much for the info Mr. Richie. So he was actually taken prisoner, perhaps after Tobruk as I supposed. I wonder what his first name was. Only the initial E is to be found. Also curious what happened to him after POW period

Yes definitely a POW. Unfortunately Wood is a common name in the UK especially hard to research with only an initial E and not a full name.

As long as you give the service number you should be fine.

Also the Red Cross hold a list of names of P.O.W.s
    "Per Ardua"

I found a replacement ribbon and finally completed the medal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture General Service Medal 1918 with Palestine clasp - need info