Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A gift from David McNerney

Article about: by Paul E Ned your apology is good for me , what i am saying is lets try and not post things like this in the first place we and then we wouldn't have to have these conversations and hindsig

?

Default Re: A gift from David McNerney

A fantastic piece of history from a brave man , something you can keep and cherish in his honour and something special for you to reflect on in years to come.

Don't worry about your photos i can tell you having met many hunderds of veterans including many high award winners that Mr McNerney wouldn't give a hoot whether they are clear or not or have been done by a professional or not he would just be pleased that you have honoured him and his comrades by taking the time to speak with him and then to post your report of the meeting here,

Well done
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Great gift. You should always keep it in a place of honor. Congratulations. Obviously, you made an impression on the man if he took you aside and gave you this beautiful gift.

You guys who were being nasty, should lay off. Do you realize how young huntfo theironcrosses is? It is nice to see a young man taking such an interest in history and showing respect to great men. Don't discourage a new collector.

?

Quote by tampalam View Post

You guys who were being nasty, should lay off. Do you realize how young huntfo theironcrosses is? It is nice to see a young man taking such an interest in history and showing respect to great men. Don't discourage a new collector.
    Totally agree !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Yes indeed, you are a very fortunate young man. As tampalams had said something you said or did made an impression. It is quite possible that it's because of your young age having a great interest in the Man and subject.

That is quite a treasure. Never forget our veterans and it's heroes.

regards, Ty

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Great gift. You should always keep it in a place of honor. Congratulations. Obviously, you made an impression on the man if he took you aside and gave you this beautiful gift.

I was not intending to be 'nasty', i just thought that a little more effort could have been made with the photo's. Furthermore, how could i know the lad was only 14 years old until he revealed his age in the next post after mine? It never crossed my mind that he was so young as i am familiar with the No.1 'Join requirement' of this forum, which you, appear not to be. Try reading the rules when you've got a minute.

Be that as it may, i would like to take this oppurtunity to appologise to H.F.T.I.C. for being too judgemental in my comments to him. I fully support young collectors like him and wish him all the best in his future collecting endevours.

Absit Invidia, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    I was not intending to be 'nasty', i just thought that a little more effort could have been made with the photo's. Furthermore, how could i know the lad was only 14 years old until he revealed his age in the next post after mine? It never crossed my mind that he was so young as i am familiar with the No.1 'Join requirement' of this forum, which you, appear not to be. Try reading the rules when you've got a minute.

Be that as it may, i would like to take this oppurtunity to appologise to H.F.T.I.C. for being too judgemental in my comments to him. I fully support young collectors like him and wish him all the best in his future collecting endevours.

Absit Invidia, Ned.
    Ned the age or expereince of a member doesn't matter here , let's bear in mind some people may not be technically minded or have a modern camera or equiptment so do they deserve the sort of "hammering " you gave out ............. ? i really don't think so , lets try and be a bit more considerate !!

1st July 1916

I would have thought that my appology to the lad shows that i do have consideration Paul. Have you ever said something, that in hindsight, could have been better left unsaid? I have been contrite and said sorry, if this isn't good enough for you, then continue to, as you put it, keep "hammering" me. On the other hand you could take a leaf out of your own book, and "try and be a little more considerate". I have said sorry, what do you want mate, blood?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Ned your apology is good for me , what i am saying is lets try and not post things like this in the first place we and then we wouldn't have to have these conversations and hindsight and apologies wouldn't come into play !!

cheers

Paul

1st July 1916

thanks

Good enough for me Big Ned although I was not the one who was offended (I think "offended" is a bit too harsh a word as it was not that big a deal anyway.)
    You are correct when you point out that I should read the rules. I didn't know there was an age requirement. I hope that is not a strict rule as I like this site to be able to encourage younger folks and educate them so that they begin their hobby with knowledge and carry on the tradition of historical preservation long after older guys like myself are gone too the big collecting room in the sky. I did not read the full rules when I joined as I assumed that simply posting on topic and maintaining a civil discourse would be enough to not garner negative attention from our moderators.

If I seemed offensive to you in calling your attention to your post disparaging the lad's photos, I offer you my most sincere apology. I am not here to antagonize anybody and I certainly would sabotage my own selfish interest by shutting out a fellow collector who might be a font of knowledge for me at some point in the future.

Peace.

George

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast