Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grouping from B 17 tail gunner, 562nd bomb squadron

Article about: This grouping was given to me for Christmas by a friend of Simons sister who passed away last year. Simon was in the 388th bomb group, 562 nd bomb sqaudron. I am not sure if the picture with

?

I agree its a mix. Air crew and gunner wings and pilot wings. The best of both worlds.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Looking at the pic of the newspaper clipping the SSgt, He is wearing flight cadet insignia. That should put a twist into this. Did he complete flight training and become a pilot or fail and return to be the Gunner? Are all those wings his?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 01-12-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Looking at the pic of the newspaper clipping the SSgt, He is wearing flight cadet insignia. That should put a twist into this. Did he complete flight training and become a pilot or fail and return to be the Gunner? Are all those wings his?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks for the info and thoughts Phil. I know next to nothing about US items. Not that I know a lot about German either ��. Maybe he was a full
    Flight cadet at the end of the war and that is when that pic is from? I really hope I get a chance to speak to his brother.

?

I just have a passion for the 8thAF and I love seeing anything related to it.

My reason:

That's my Uncle Joe, bottom row Second from the right (Tail gunner& my avatar) and next to him in the middle is my buddy and still with us. Phil Chaperon left waist gunner of the "Mrs Geezil" shot down April 13, 1944.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I had a friend and coworker who's father-in-law was a B-17 crew member. I met
    him (the Father in law) and talked with him for a couple of hours many years ago.
    Unfortunately I did not write any of the details down and I have forgotten most of it.
    Details like which position this guy was, the name of of the plane ect. are all gone.

The one story that I do remember, probably because the gentleman really seemed to enjoy
    telling me this was that they trained in Texas and because bombs were needed in Germany,
    they practiced their bombing runs with watermelons. They always saved a few melons at the
    the day so when they would return to base, they would single out some unsuspecting vehicle
    on the road or farmer on a tractor and do a low level bomb run and pelt the poor guy with melons.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

I have a 1 hour and 58 minute conversation with Phil recorded. I asked him to tell me about his service. He said "Where should I start?" I said where ever you want Phil.
    So its starts out with" They delivered milk by horse and carriage when I was young" I didn't/couldn't say anything and just listened..
    Phil is sharp as a tack. He asked if my uncle ever became a police officer? He remembered conversations on a B-17 70+ years ago.
    I am truly blessed with having Phil in my life. The stories my uncle never talked about. And when Phil told me about the day they were shot down . I knew right then why my uncle never spoke about it. 4 of those men, The CP,TT,Radioman and Ballturret gunner were killed in the attack and went down with the Mrs Geezil.
    The rest were guest of the Third Reich for the duration at Stalag 17B.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I just have a passion for the 8thAF and I love seeing anything related to it.

My reason:

That's my Uncle Joe, bottom row Second from the right (Tail gunner& my avatar) and next to him in the middle is my buddy and still with us. Phil Chaperon left waist gunner of the "Mrs Geezil" shot down April 13, 1944.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Great story and family history.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2