Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with applying for WW2 medals

Article about: Right so my great grandmother served in the WAAF during ww2. All i got of hers from my grandfather (her son) was her discharge paper and on the discharge paper it says Nil for medals that sh

?

Default Help with applying for WW2 medals

Right so my great grandmother served in the WAAF during ww2. All i got of hers from my grandfather (her son) was her discharge paper and on the discharge paper it says Nil for medals that she got.
    Now I thought that was a bit weird. She was rank Leading Aircraft women and had RAF trade of Cook (group 3) and was stationed at RAF Alness.
    She was reported for regular service on 7.8.42 and was discharged 11.1.46.

So the medal i confirm she would of been entitled to get is the War medal 1939 to 1945. Her service length just falls short of the 1080 day requirement for the Defence medal. But i was wondering would she be able to get the 1939 to 1945 Star. Was being in the WAAF as a cook count as ground crew in the RAF? As i feel she might qualify as she would then have 180 day requirement. Or am i being to optimistic...

Thanks for any help with this question. My grandfather is still alive and he would technically be the on applying however my mum can apply being the eldest grandchild.

My own great grandmother was in the ATS - also a cook, by coincidence! - and received only the 1939-1945 War Medal.

The 1939-45 Star was only awarded to recipients who served overseas, so if your great grandmother was based domestically, she would not have qualified for it. That was the case with my own great grandmother. I expect it's also the case with yours.

Regards, B.B.

?

Ah i did not notice that on the website. I have had a second look and it did say the overseas thing. Guess i was to interesting in the service qualifications rather than the paragraph prior!

Thanks B.B will go ahead at somepoint and apply for the war medal.

Do keep in mind that only the next of kin can apply for a replacement medal, and that good reason for a replacement is required. I am not able to claim replacement medals for my great grandfather for that reason, as they are currently in the possession of my grandmother's brother (he stole them, technically). A good reason would be theft, or loss through damage, such as a house fire.

If the application fails, you could always do what I did, and purchase some period medals as honorary replacements. WWII British medals were not named, so finding replacements is easy enough.

Regards, B.B.

?

I’m not looking for a replacement medal. I’m looking to get hers as she was never awarded them.

That and I said in my first paragraph my mum eldest grandchild can apply and my Grandad is still alive so he would apply. I am just here to see if they can!

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I’m not looking for a replacement medal. I’m looking to get hers as she was never awarded them.

That and I said in my first paragraph my mum eldest grandchild can apply and my Grandad is still alive so he would apply. I am just here to see if they can!
    Ah, I see. You should have better luck in that case. She'll have qualified for the 39-45 War Medal, at the very least. My own great grandmother did, and she was only in the ATS for the last few months of the war.

B.B.

Honourable stuff guys....you should be proud of yourselves.....and yes, I know you’re proud of them too.