Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help on Dunkirk Medal

Article about: Hi everyone, First time posting on this forum so here goes. I was wondering if anyone could help with identifying if this dunkirk medal currently for sale on e-bay is an original or replica

Default Help on Dunkirk Medal

Hi everyone,

First time posting on this forum so here goes. I was wondering if anyone could help with identifying if this dunkirk medal currently for sale on e-bay is an original or replica - the link is here - Genuine WW2 Dunkirk Medal | eBay

The research I have managed to do doesn't give much information on how to tell an original and replica apart.

I would very much like to obtain an original medal to complete my Grandfathers medals - he was in the 10th Field Regiment Royal Artillery and served in France (evacuated from Dunkirk on May 31st 1940) and then in India and Burma.

I am travelling out to the WW1 Battlefields with the local Legion branch here in Northern Ireland at the beginning of July and would like to get his medals mounted in time for me to wear (with respect and pride) at the Menin Gate.

Any help on this particular example of the Dunkirk medal or general information of where I may pick one up would be much appreciated.

Great Forum by the way guys - many thanks in advance for your help

Andy

Default Re: Help on Dunkirk Medal

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum!

My Uncle was at Dunkirk with the RAMC. He was evacuated.

The medal looks fine to me. These are semi official at best, so I would not worry too much.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade,

Thanks for the reply on that - good advice. I did bid on the medal and was fortunate enough to win it so next stage is to get them all framed.

Keep up the good work here and cheers again

Andy

In commonwealth terms there is no such thing as 'real' Dunkirk medal. Just the appropriate campaign stars and service medals. E.G. 39-45 star, Defence and/or war medal at a minimum - maybe more if they weren't POW's and served in other theatres or back in NW Europe. these are commeratives made by private companies to part people from their cash. I am not aware of France doing anything like this officially either, defeats are not typically celebrated. It might make a nice Xmas tree ornament for ten or twenty dollars.

The Dunkirk Medal
    Medaille de Dunkerque

Created by the town of Dunkirk to commemorate the defence of the area during the retreat of the British Expeditionary Force, with the applications and distribution being administered by the French Dunkirk Veterans Association.

Initially awarded only to the French defenders of the Dunkirk pocket, numbering about 30,000. In 1970 the qualification for the award was expanded to include most of the British who served in the Dunkirk sector and their rescue forces; including the Royal Navy, Royal Air Force, Merchant Navy, and the civilian 'little ship' volunteers.

The next of kin of deceased veterens could apply. A certificate was also issued with the medal.

exactly, not a "real" medal. Commonly referred to as veteran "bling" by medal collectors.