Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with ww2 medal slip

Article about: Help needed with ww2 medal slip , i am having a problem reading the guys name on this medal slip and would like to know if possible where to find out how and when he loss his life , thank yo

Default Help needed with ww2 medal slip

Help needed with ww2 medal slip , i am having a problem reading the guys name on this medal slip and would like to know if possible where to find out how and when he loss his life , thank you for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with ww2 medal slip   Help needed with ww2 medal slip  

Looks like Baldwyn Emanuel

Looks like 'Maldwyn Emanuel'. Not sure a name alone would be sufficient to uncover the soldier's fate, but from his first name I'd expect he was a Welshman. That may narrow it down in a search of records, at the very least.

Regards, B.B.

Thank you both , i have tried this on the cwgc but nothing comes up on a search for this sailor

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Looks like 'Maldwyn Emanuel'. Not sure a name alone would be sufficient to uncover the soldier's fate, but from his first name I'd expect he was a Welshman. That may narrow it down in a search of records, at the very least.

Regards, B.B.
    Correct, it is Maldwyn Emanuel. Maldwyn is a Welsh first name but as a matter of interest it is an alternative name for Montgomeryshire in Wales.

As BB says the name alone will be of no help at all other than it is unlikely that you will find many more than one or two with the same name who were also naval casualties. Of course if he was lost at sea then it is no surprise that CWGC don't list him. Another route to go down may be the Merchant Navy as the same Admiralty cert would be used as they also came under command. It gets harder though when you consider that RN, RNVR and RFR all have different record systems. Much harder to penetrate than army or airforce records!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-24-2018 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you Mark will look at them and see if i can find any record , the slip has on the back the award of 3 medals but not marked which ones here would have had

Found this on him when i did a new search on cwgc

MarineEMANUEL, MALDWYN

Service Number PLY/X101128

Died 14/09/1942

Aged 23

2nd Bn.
    Royal Marines

Son of David and Mary Emanuel; husband of Elizabeth May Emanuel, of Trehafod, Pontypridd, Glamorgan.

Found somemore on him he was killed in THE RAID ON TOBRUK OPERATION “AGREEMENT”

September 14th 1942 , Thank you all for your input and help

Quote by kradman View Post
    Found somemore on him he was killed in THE RAID ON TOBRUK OPERATION “AGREEMENT”

September 14th 1942 , Thank you all for your input and help
    Well done,

I forgot about The RM! Maybe because they sort of "fall between two stools" depending on whether serving afloat with the Fleet or under army command and I was lead off course by the use of the word "sailor".

Of course you now have enough to find his medal index card which will tell you what the three medals are but I would make an educated guess at;

1. Africa Star (for Tobruk).
    2. Defence Medal (awarded in such a case to those with one or more campaign star)
    3. War Medal (28 days full time service wherever rendered between 1939 - 45).

Do let us know what you discover.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you Mark yes will now look at that and will let you know