Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

honi soit qui mal y pense - brooch

Article about: I do not know where to post this topic...sorry if this is not the place. We have been going through photographs and memorabilia that we received after the passing of a relative. We would lik

Question honi soit qui mal y pense - brooch

I do not know where to post this topic...sorry if this is not the place.

We have been going through photographs and memorabilia that we received after the passing of a relative. We would like to identify an item.

It appears to be a brooch. It is an elongated heart-shaped item inscribed with the words "honi soit qui mal y pense" (all capitalized). The "corners" of the heart have what looks like fleur-de-lis. The back has the following stamped on it: "RD.1902". Someone on a genealogy site suggested it might be a sweetheart pin. We will try to post a better photograph of the item when my phone decides it wants to send clear photos.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

honi soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - brooch

Default Re: honi soit qui mal y pense - brooch

Quote by shortbuss55 View Post
    I do ....
    will try to post a better photograph of the item when my phone decides it wants to send clear photos.

...... Thank you.
    We defenetly need them!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well that only took three hours to send :/

honi soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - brooch

?

Hi Shortbuss, all i can tell you it is a brooch which has something to do with the royal order of the garter, the words "Honi soit qui mal y pense" (Shame on him who thinks this evil) is the order motto, the order remained exclusively male, except for reigning queens as Sovereign of the Order, until 1901 when Edward VII made Queen Alexandra a lady of the Order.

In 1987, The Queen decided that women should be eligible for the Garter in the same way as men. Women are therefore included in this number and currently Lady Soames (the youngest daughter of Sir Winston Churchill, also a holder of the Order of the Garter) holds this honour. hope this helps in a way.
    Regards
    Kevin

I cannot tell you exactly what the broach is for however the central coat of arms is that of the UK /regent and is surmounted by a Victorian style crown. Honi soit qui mal y pense is french for "Shamed be he who thinks evil of it" and is the motto of both the Order of the Garter and the Royal Engineers, Hope this info is of some help.

Regards

Robin

WOW kevinp this does answer many questions! Thank you so much!! So would you say that this is not a sweetheart pin then?

From Alex

?

Hi Shortbuss, i have been trawling the internet for these sweetheart badges that look like yours, i may be entirely wrong mate but it could be something else, many regiments used these including the coldstream guards, RASC, and the army service corps, it would be interesting to find out what it is mate, good luck.
    Regards
    Kevin

Dear Robin, Thank you for your speedy replay! I did not know that the motto was also for the Royal Engineers.My mother is into genealogy. I believe that there was someone in our family in the Royal Engineers. So that would make since. Thank you for the information that you have provided!

From Alex

Good morning (night?) Kevin, we have been looking for hours and still have come up with nothing. Thank you for your update. I'll check out what you said and see if I see anything that might be close. I'll post if I see anything close.

Again thank you Kevin/everyone else for your help!

From Alex

Hello all it's 0330 hours over here. I have to get some sleep today. So if anyone post's and I do not answer that is why. Just thought I would post that so you don't think I am ignoring you.

From Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast