Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

honi soit qui mal y pense - brooch

Article about: I do not know where to post this topic...sorry if this is not the place. We have been going through photographs and memorabilia that we received after the passing of a relative. We would lik

?

Default Re: honi soit qui mal y pense - brooch

Hi Alex, good luck, have just searched through 80 pages of a website called 'http://www.regimentalbrooches.com/shop.php' and nothing that remotely looks like yours, if it was a sweetheart brooch then i would say it should have a regiment name on the brooch, yours has RD 1902 (initials and date?) anyway let us know what you find.
    Regards
    Kevin

?

A very good looking badge/brooch...what ever its for.

It could have a nursing connection because I have seen similar, but if you type 'honi soit qui mal y pense ' into wikipedia you will see how many different services use this Order of the Garter motto on their badges and coats of arms.

It's on badges in the British, Australian, New Zealand and Canadian armies, appears on Nelson's Victory and was even tattooed on the leg of one of the Bounty mutineers according to Bligh's notebooks and there's hundreds more. The 'RD' 1902 might be your only hope of narrowing it down. A maker possibly?

Any chance of some good shots of the back of the brooch, particularly the marks?

Cheers,

Ian.
    Last edited by canti44; 05-31-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Hello Kevin I was not ignoring you. I just woke from my short nap i really do want to think for for looking through those 80 pages! I have sadly not found anything out since I posted and all of you have posted your thoughts and ideas. I would like to find out what this is and were it came from though! honi soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - brooch

From sleepy Alex.

Thank you Scout! I think it does look cool!

From Alex

Hello Ian, I would have never guessed that it might have a nursing connection. Although that does make since since it is in the shape of a heart. We were also thinking it had something to do with the Order of the Garter, but we came up empty on getting good solid information on that group, that would tie them to the brooch. Here are some more pictures Ian, I hope this helps!

honi soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - broochhoni soit qui mal y pense - brooch

From Alex.

?

Hi Alex, No worries my friend I enjoyed looking through them.
    I really think Ian has hit onto it being something to do with nursing, a lot of nurses were awarded medals etc. after the second Boer war (1899-1902) so the only thing I can think now is that it was awarded to a nurse (with the initials RD) at the end of the Boer war (1902) apart from that mate I am stumped, was there any nursing connections in your family at that time? keep hunting my friend.
    Regards
    Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2