Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period??

Article about: How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period?? Does anyone have 2 medals, one a restrike and one orginal, they could post so I can see the difference? Than

m85xxx
    ?

Default How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period??

How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period??

Does anyone have 2 medals, one a restrike and one orginal, they could post so I can see the difference?

Thanks!

Default Re: How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period??

Generally speaking, re-strikes have a grainy, almost sandblasted appearance to them and the details are accentuated with deep blackening to bring out details which are sometimes softer than originals. The grainy examples are usually found in the campaign medal re-strikes of WWII and are horrible in appearance. However, some medals like the WWII Victory Medal shown below are usually of good quality, just bright. Many of the original dies have been used to strike modern examples, and are now very worn.

Here are examples of original and re-strike medals. The original is shown in the first photo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period??  
    Attached Images Attached Images How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period?? 
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

m85xxx
    ?

Default Re: How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period??

Thanks!

So would this be a restrike? Or orginial?
    Attached Images Attached Images How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period??  How can I tell if a WW2 medal is a restrike or orignially from that time period??