Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I found a WWI Distinguished Service Cross Medal Of Valor !!

Article about: Hello there folks! Recently I came upon a WWI DSC at a local auction and I just had to buy it. On the reverse it is engraved with the soldier's initials "JBM" and the year it was p

I noticed it's already in the Classifieds - There goes your 'potential buyer'.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Interesting information, for sure! Poor old Lt Mudge got himself shot up and gassed but still kept his men together and safe. The thing to remember about these medals is that they were the 2nd highest US award a person could get on the battlefield. To be awarded one, you had to be the Real Deal-a true blue Hero, not just a soldier doing his duty, you had to do something above and beyond and something Important, like Lt. Mudge here leading his men through a Hell gassing attack even though wounded. It staggers the imagination trying to picture the conditions and circumstances of what was happening at the time of the action.

I wouldn't be in a rush to leap at the first inquiry- it may well take a good bit of time to find that buyer who Really wants it. Not everyone is going to shell out 3200 bucks for an amazing medal, but Someone will. There just aren't all that many of these awards Out there.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I noticed it's already in the Classifieds - There goes your 'potential buyer'.........
    He wants to buy it to resell and has made it clear. I am willing to wait to find the right buyer myself.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Interesting information, for sure! Poor old Lt Mudge got himself shot up and gassed but still kept his men together and safe. The thing to remember about these medals is that they were the 2nd highest US award a person could get on the battlefield. To be awarded one, you had to be the Real Deal-a true blue Hero, not just a soldier doing his duty, you had to do something above and beyond and something Important, like Lt. Mudge here leading his men through a Hell gassing attack even though wounded. It staggers the imagination trying to picture the conditions and circumstances of what was happening at the time of the action.

I wouldn't be in a rush to leap at the first inquiry- it may well take a good bit of time to find that buyer who Really wants it. Not everyone is going to shell out 3200 bucks for an amazing medal, but Someone will. There just aren't all that many of these awards Out there.
    Seems he was an extraordinary man indeed. A true National Hero.

Again, I really REALLY appreciate you helping me with this. I highly doubt I would've been able to tie a name and a story to this medal without your help.

?

I dont mean to bring up an old thread like this but is it legal for a collector to even posses such a medal? I know the MOH you cant, not even own a copy.

MAP
    ?

Samir,

According to this forum (WW2Forum) it is legal to sell one (and thus I would assume buy one as well)

Is it legal to sell distinguished service cross - Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls - WWII Forums
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Can a US citizen own a MOH? It's been debated endlessly and if you contact 10 different sources, you will receive 10 different answers. As far as I've ever been able to boil it down to, the answer is Yes-you can Own it but it can Never be bought, sold. Once a medal is given to a recipient, it is considered to be private property and can be disposed of as wished by the recipient, but it can Not be sold. You Will be in a world of trouble, however, if you ever claim to Be the recipient and are not. Another medal which used to be unobtainable was the Air Force Cross.

But, back to the MOH, in 1996, the maker of the award-HLI Lordship Industries-pleaded guilty to illegally producing and selling over 300 medals. So there is a dilemma. How to tell if a medal is one of the 300? (Or one of the "Vastly more than 300" that are estimated to be out there)? And, would ownership of one of the illegally produced ones be as risky as an awarded medal? And, if that weren't bad enough, it is perfectly legal for other Countries to make the medal as well. Germany, for example, makes a near Perfect medal and selling them is allowed with no restrictions at all to whomever outside of the US wishes to own one. But, in any case, it seems that about the only way a US citizen can own an actual legitimate MOH legally is to be it's Recipient, to be Gifted one or to Inherit one. A DSC, however, is perfectly fine to have,sell or trade.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2