Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

I need your opinion if you can help.

Article about: Please can you help as I received a large collection with medals and one of them stand out if it is a good one . I need your opinion if you can help me to decide what it can be. I have attac

?

Default I need your opinion if you can help.

Please can you help as I received a large collection with medals and one of them stand out if it is a good one .
    I need your opinion if you can help me to decide what it can be.
    I have attached some pictures.
    The name engraved come's up in google as an US General,according what I have been told the Medal is Real?.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I need your opinion if you can help.   I need your opinion if you can help.  

I need your opinion if you can help.   I need your opinion if you can help.  

I need your opinion if you can help.  

Default Re: I need your opinion if you can help.

I can tell you that the medal is WWII authentic...I'm not 100% on that engraving though IMHO.

Alex

?

Thank you for the response this is good to hear,if you be able to get more info on the name that will be a great help.

Peter

I'm in agreement - I do not like the way it has been named.
    Not only is it sideways, the spacing and placement of the
    lettering is poor..... It should read: JOHN J/TOLSON/II

Also the fact that the lettering has been filled in
    with paint or something.........
    Regards,

Steve.

dorker: It's real. The date on the bottom is the year it was authorized, 1918. Here is the scoop on it:
    The Distinguished Service Medal was authorized by Presidential Order dated 1918-01-02, and confirmed by Congress on 1918-07-09. It was announced by War Department General Order No. 6, 1918-01-12, with the following information concerning the medal: "A bronze medal of appropriate design and a ribbon to be worn in lieu thereof, to be awarded by the President to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Army shall hereafter distinguish himself or herself, or who, since 1917-04-06, has distinguished himself or herself by exceptionally meritorious service to the Government in a duty of great responsibility in time of war or in connection with military operations against an armed enemy of the United States." The Act of Congress on 1918-07-09, recognized the need for different types and degrees of heroism and meritorious service and included such provisions for award criteria. The current statutory authorization for the Distinguished Service Medal is Title 10, United States Code, Section 3743. Dwight

?

An very good answer and explanation,now I have the task as I think its worth to get more details about the name engraved I have found something but not convinced if it is the right person on it.

Regards
    Peter

?

Was be able to show the Engraving Picture (Not sure about fake Yes or No).
    Maybe this picture give a other light on it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I need your opinion if you can help.  

Hello mate you posted this on the militaria form too the engraving could be privately done as in the vet had it done but that can get very tricky !

Just picked up the Tolson DSM from Peter. VERY pleased with it! 100% official naming and yes the 12:00-6:00 direction of the naming is very common to Army DSM's. Tolson was a well known Airborne officer and Airmobile Pioneer earning the DSC in Vietnam.

?

Thank you Andrew it has a good home now where it belongs.
    I am glad you like it.