Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Just a 'boring' MBE

Article about: A while ago I purchased a single MBE and a certificate for a 1953 coronation medal from an antiques/house clearance shop. The guy said they had come from a house clearance locally and I paid

UnknownSoldier
    ?

Default Just a 'boring' MBE

A while ago I purchased a single MBE and a certificate for a 1953 coronation medal from an antiques/house clearance shop. The guy said they had come from a house clearance locally and I paid about 50 quid for that and another MBE (female) with a newspaper cutting.

Well they languished in my desk for a few years until I had the time to research them, and from the certificate I got a name and from there i found a citation for the MBE (unusual to say the least.......):

How often did this guys MBE and Coronation medal get overlooked and ignored on parades, thinking it to be just another good duty one..... how wrong could you be........ this MBE was awarded in lieu of a GC in 1940.

Charles Alfred Sleeth, Skipper of the steam trawler WARREN (172 tons) awarded the MBE in the LG 20 Jan 1942 (probably for an action c. 1 Aug 1940) for driving off an enemy air attack.

The trawler was suddenly attacked by an enemy bomber. Fifield, who was already at the gun, was hit by machine-gun fire. Although bleeding profusely, he stayed at his gun, firing steadily. The Skipper meanwhile left the bridge to fetch rockets to warn other ships. By this time the gunner was weak from loss of blood and the Skipper took his place at the Lewis gun. It seems probable that while firing some 300 rounds, Fifield hit the enemy, as part of the fuselage was seen to fall. When at the gun, the Skipper succeeded in piercing the plane's under-carriage during a very close attack in which three more bombs only just missed the trawler, whose steering was damaged. After being hit in this last attack, the bomber flew away. Fifield showed unflinching bravery in standing to his gun when wounded and his rapid, and probably successful, fire shook the attacker. The Skipper set a fine example throughout, and when he in turn took over the gun, his fire undoubtedly drove off the enemy, enabling him to bring his ship safely home.

Tom

?

Default Re: Just a 'boring' MBE

22 years is not such a young age for collector, as I'am myself in this age has a couple of good SS tunics and PZ wraps
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

UnknownSoldier
    ?

Thanks Phil and Dimas. :-) I must admit for a while the bad handwriting on the certificate and my ignorance of sources left me floundering to find anything out about 'Charles', but what a rush when you find that single MBE you bought is for a citation like that :-) Still grin thinking about it, it does make you think with guys lined up on Nov 11th, how many bypassed the MBE without even acknowledging it, but what a citation if only they'd known.

ATB,
    Tom

UnknownSoldier
    ?

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    you are right dimas, i meant no disrespect, its refreshing to see a young man with interest in history.
    None taken mate, I know what you mean, when so many of my counterparts don't even know who Winston Churchill is, it's not suprising :-)

ATB,
    Tom

UnknownSoldier
    ?

Lol :-)

?

That's the problem with MBE's mate, i was in Normandy for D Day 2 years ago when a guy i know who has one for selling charity tie pins went over and started bragging it about to someone else who was wearing the medal, turned out the other guy was an ex Sgt from 3 Para who had won it for combat in Afghanistan !!

Well done for carrying out the research on this brave man,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

UnknownSoldier
    ?

Thanks, I agree, a friend of mine did several tours in Borneo and Malaya with '21', and many years with Bomb disposal (getting blown up a few times by his stories ;D ), and all he's got is a GSM/CSM pair, yet no one would look twice....... :-) Just makes you wonder how many stories are out there like this one, sad he only got the MBE, as he MN he was considered worthy of a 'Proper' award like a GC/GM etc. (no disrespect on the proper award thing but you always associate the MBE with lollypop ladies etc. not fighting off planes and firing off rockets....).

Tom

?

Aye unfortunately us British have always been poor at recognising bravery in combat hence our campaign medals !! The same medals for some bloke who was in a combat unit who saw lots of action in WW1 or WW2 as another bloke who sat at Army HQ's pushing pens !!

It's an area where we could learn from the Germand who had numerous awards to distinguish the real fighting men.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Yes it is sad.It reminds me on my story.Probably you know that in Croatia we have a Homeland war for independence 1990-1996.
    I was a member of 4.Guard's motorised brigade for 9 and a half years.On the beggining of the war in infantry and from 1994 in artillery.Who came in army as a volunteer before international recognition of the Republic of Croatia,(15.01.1992), is qualified
    for "Memorial Homeland War Medal 1990-92" with ribbon and miniature.
    I got a medal but allmost 20 yrs from that time I'm asking for ribbon and miniature.Now I need to buy it by myself.With original certificate I need to go in official factory and they will give me that.
    Second medal is Homeland "Gratitude Medal" for 5 yrs of faithfull service,(I'm missing 6 months for 10 yrs ).
    I was so mad that I wrote a letter to the president of Croatia and told him about people who never saw enemy in front of them,they were in some headquarters and offices and they have that medal.
    I got it but again I needed to pay for it.
    PS/ And now,I became angry again
    Navik on živi ki zgine pošteno