Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Latest US Medal Groupings

Article about: Been awhile since I've shared some of my latest finds. Thought I'd share a few medal groupings I've picked up over the past year or so. First is a grouping named to William E Vaugh - Bronze

?

Default Latest US Medal Groupings

Been awhile since I've shared some of my latest finds. Thought I'd share a few medal groupings I've picked up over the past year or so.

First is a grouping named to William E Vaugh - Bronze Star is officially engraved, and likely issued retroactively due to the soldier as he was awarded the CIB.

The CIB is what drew me to the group, as it is the not so common two-piece construction. These were made as such to allow the wearer to change his EIB to the CIB. As a matter of fact, I completley missed the engraving on the Bronze Star, as I was more interested in the CIB!

The slot-brooch Purple Heart is an earlier numbered version, manufactured by Rex Products.

There are a couple of enlistment records on the Archives that match the name on the Bronze Star. Seller stated it came out of an estate sale in Virginia, and the American Defense medal would indicate pre-WWII enlistment. Out of the two enlistment records that matched that name, I've narrowed it down to the William E Vaughn highlighted below:

Thanks to a member of another forum, they confirmed this William E Vaughn was wounded on January 20, 1945, by an artillery shell fragment (confirms the Purple Heart). He suffered a laceration to his neck and spent two days receiving medical attention before returning to duty.

Report lists his unit as "8" which more than likely refers to the 8th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. If this is true, with the pre-WWII service, it's likely this vet saw action on D-Day.

As for the 42nd Infantry Division patch that came with the group, it's possible he was transferred to this division stateside prior to discharge.

All of this is speculative, of course, however if true, would be pretty awesome considering I acquired the group mainly for the two piece CIB!

All of the medals have a similar glue residue on their respective brooch, with the exception of the WWII Victory, which has glue on the planchet and the ribbon. This leads me to believe they have been together for some time, and were previously in a display.

?

The next grouping is named to Lt Col Thomas J Skiffington.

Skiffington enlisted in 1942. During WWII, he served as a co-pilot with the 401st Bomb Group, 613th Bomb Squadron. He flew a total of 22 documented missions.

For his service during WWII, he was awarded 3 Air Medals. Commendations below:

Post-War, The Lt Colonel's primary focus was aircraft safety, as the Chief of Flying Safety Division with the 15th Air Force. For his outstanding work in this division, he was awarded three Air Force Commendation medals. Citations for all three below:

The Lt Col served in the USAF until his retirement in 1972.

Photo of the Lt Col from 1967

He passed away in in 1985, and is currently interred in Arlington National Cemetery.

The grouping consists of two sets of mini-medals. First set would likely date to sometime between 1959 and 1963 (first award of the USAF Commendation medal - I've since added the missing planchet):

Second set he would have worn later, and was updated post retirement to add the Legion of Merit, which was likely a retirement award.

Full sized medals consist of his government engraved Legion of Merit and USAF Commendation medal. The Air Medal is a full wrap brooch, likely the one originally awarded during WWII. Also included are his EAME and National Defense Service Medal.

Lastly, a set of 3" Senior and Master Pilot wings, as well as two sets of 2" Master Pilot Wings.

Nice named grouping. Also seems to be missing the European African Middle Eastern Campaign medal. The bugs on that one would help to tell if he did a beach landing ( would have an arrow head ). Also this is the second 2 piece CIB I have seen on this site in the last month. I have been collecting US stuff for 50 years and it's only the second one I have seen.

Thanks for sharing

Burt

?

Nice groupings friend.

?

Thanks, Gentlemen!

Burt, you are correct, in that it's missing the EAME medal. Arrowhead would have certainly help to confirm an amphibious landing, possibly further linking the vet to D-Day. As for the two piece-CIB, seeing the one shared on the other thread is actually what prompted me to post this example!

?

Another grouping, sadly no name to go with this one. I acquired it in this crude display.

The grouping consists of an early, numbered wrap brooch Silver Star (114533 - untraceable), early numbered Purple Heart with enamel insert, Good Conduct Medal, Selective Service medal and Knights Templar medal. Ribbon bar contains the EAME ribbon with 5 Campaign Stars. Silver Star ribbon, which is missing, would have likely been worn as a single ribbon above the 3-place bar.

Another very nice group of original WWII issue medals. I have a couple of the Knights Templar medals, I had heard they were issued to next of kin. Do you know what they were given for?

Burt

Hey Guys here's a post on the "knights Templar" Masonic Medals. Knight?s Templar medals - Masonic Medals & Jewels - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

General Putnam

?

Thanks, GP. Very informative thread!