Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

maritime billiards medalion ???

Article about: Posting this for a mate, whos also a member here but only access to his phone for now, I ain't got a clue with this thing apart from the obvious. British? Thanks Rory

?

Default maritime billiards medalion ???

Posting this for a mate, whos also a member here but only access to his phone for now, I ain't got a clue with this thing apart from the obvious. British?

Thanks Rory
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture maritime billiards medalion ???   maritime billiards medalion ???  

Did you know they had a special set of 'balls' onboard ship that were actually cuboid in shape for use in rough weather and at anytime when the Beaufort scale exceeded force 6?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Did you know they had a special set of 'balls' onboard ship that were actually cuboid in shape for use in rough weather and at anytime when the Beaufort scale exceeded force 6?

Regards, Ned.
    It's not the 1st of April Ned!! Leon.

?

I was an army man Ned not too clued up about navy stuff, so don't want to risk sounding stupid with any questions ha ha

Oh ye of little faith.....

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Mmm?? An old sea dogs balls!
    Attached Images Attached Images maritime billiards medalion ??? 

Quote by rory View Post
    Posting this for a mate, whos also a member here but only access to his phone for now, I ain't got a clue with this thing apart from the obvious. British?

Thanks Rory
    Hi Rory , joking aside , this looks to be a locally/mates together made item to me , it seems just a touch to crude to have been an official Navy "commemorative" piece. Leon.

?

Yea see what you mean I'm sure those guys could have made it on board ? I heard they had hotels and bars on there maybe Kirk can comment on where he got it ?

I got this with the ww1 medals rory back when I was about 8 or 9 at a school flea market

mpw
    ?

A lot of shore bases competed in all manner of sports between the wars. One was the 'HMS TAMAR AND THE CHINA FLEET CLUB'.

Here is a paragraph taken from a website 'Gun Plot' about the Royal Australian Navy.

From then on the men used the Club a great deal more and on return from the North, billiard and snooker competitions were organised. Silver cups were presented by Messrs. H. Ruttonjee & Son and members of the winning teams were presented with replicas of the cups. Medals purchased from Club funds were presented to the runners-up. These competitions were held annually until 1940.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast