Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?

Article about: by Steven M I to agree, with the exception being the Good Conduct Medal. It looks like it might be a period original as there is the lack of heavy blackening that is used on the modern re-st

Cool Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?

Medals! (Sorry for the helmet, I pinned them to it to display them easily, and I was too lazy to take them ALL off and put them ALL back on, so I just left them on as I took the pictures)

Tell me which ones are period and which ones are restrikes! Because, at the prices I bought them, (about $40 dollars in total) I doubt that all of them are period medals?
    Attached Images Attached Images Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?  Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes? 

Default Re: Medals That I Bought: Are They Period, or Restrikes?

Hi, I have had to remove your linked photos as they were HUGE! I have removed them, cropped them and resized them. I have added them into your post. Please see "FAQ" at top right about adding photos, as you can upload them direct without using outside links.

All the medals are modern in my opinion.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes, but you neglected to crop 7 of the pictures. Ahh well.

Here are the rest:

Also, Ade, could you give me some pointers as to why these are fake? Many others in the other thread I made said that they were probably real, however, I am not sure.

Yes, I could only add 10 pics, as that is the forum limit, 10 per post

I am not saying these are fake per se. But comparing these to wartime examples the detail to the die strikes and overall finish are not as good. There is some rough unfinished metal around the suspensions etc. Also the ribbons look really new and synthetic looking.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Awesome View Post
    Medals! (Sorry for the helmet, I pinned them to it to display them easily, and I was too lazy to take them ALL off and put them ALL back on, so I just left them on as I took the pictures)

Tell me which ones are period and which ones are restrikes! Because, at the prices I bought them, (about $40 dollars in total) I doubt that all of them are period medals?
    I concur with Ade, all appear to be period medals. The newer strikes are considerable lighter in color than the originals. There were millions of these campaign medals struck, as a result there are still a lot of them floating around. But $40 for the lot was a very good buy.

Terry

I to agree, with the exception being the Good Conduct Medal. It looks like it might be a period original as there is the lack of heavy blackening that is used on the modern re-strikes. How about a full shot of the reverse?
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    I to agree, with the exception being the Good Conduct Medal. It looks like it might be a period original as there is the lack of heavy blackening that is used on the modern re-strikes. How about a full shot of the reverse?
    There is a full shot of the reverse in my post

I, too believe it is not period. The blackening, like you pointed out, stand out in the medals. Compare my picture to this

Quote by Awesome View Post
    There is a full shot of the reverse in my post
    No, there isn't, you posted a turned shot of the medal only. A full shot means the ribbon, brooch and the medal.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast