MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.

Article about: A similar thing happened in our family - I inherited my late Grandfather's four WW2 medals (he was a Signals Officer in the SAAF) and it was only a couple of years ago that I did some seriou

Default Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.

G'Day Gents,
    My wifes Father passed away in 1961,the year she was born.She had no idea about her Fathers WW2 service.
    So i applied for his records from the Australian War Memorial,she and her Brother and Sister were amazed by the information and enlistment photos contained in them.
    I noticed that he had not applied for his Service Medals,so i applied for his Medals,via the Directorate of Honours and Awards,(Department of Defence)
    Today we recieved his long overdue recognition of Service,beautifully presented and shining like ive never seen WW2 Medals do before,i realize they have just been manufactured,however i think its great that after all these years they can still award Servicemen in this manner.
    They are engraved with his name and service number,as is usual and cased for presentation.(i dont believe medals recieved straight after the war were seperately cased,my Grandfathers were all in one box)

Richard Neill Cunnington
    Q108500
    101 Tank Attack
    Regiment A.I.F.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.   Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.  

Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.   Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.  

Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.   Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.  

Default Re: Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.

Great to hear mate! Good on you to do that for her.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

This is great.

We did the same to get my Great Uncle Sid's medals from the MoD.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Nice going Mr Mick.. both good looking medals..& well over due...Cheers Terry

And after all these years. Good that the Aussie government will still
    provide them to families.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Beautiful! Always fantastic to hear that a veterans service is valued by his family and friends.I got hold of the UK authorities address for medal applications a few years back for an "ol" girl i know who's father died in a japanese POW camp.She obviously never knew her dad so it was quite an emotional scene when his medals dropped through the door!

great job. They look great! So many of our WWII vets are forgotten over time. And a lot of them did not want to remember the war. But thank god the family remembers there service with pride.

Well done Mick,
    Something to pass on though your family's future generations mate.
    Lest we forget.
    Jolly good stuff.
    Cheers
    Dave

Thanks everyone,
    I dont know who got the bigger kick out of it,me or the Missus

Mick.........great job you did,I did a similar thing in the 1970's when my wife discovered a photo of her father in a Italian naval uniform,he never mentioned his service,I applied to the Italian consult in NYC and received a cased gold medal for the 50TH anniversary of victory 1918-1968.......it is nice to know that all are not forgotten................Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.   Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.  

Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast