Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.

Article about: A similar thing happened in our family - I inherited my late Grandfather's four WW2 medals (he was a Signals Officer in the SAAF) and it was only a couple of years ago that I did some seriou

Default Re: Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.

A similar thing happened in our family - I inherited my late Grandfather's four WW2 medals (he was a Signals Officer in the SAAF) and it was only a couple of years ago that I did some serious research on him. To cut a long story short it turned out that, despite not being officially qualified aircrew, he was in fact, due to a re-examination of the more detailed qualification requirements, entitled to the Atlantic Star. I applied and the award was approved - a couple of months later I was presented with this medal on his behalf. His wartime record was officially amended and thus became the only non-aircrew member of the SAAF to receive this medal.

Mick-a slight correction-your relie was Militia not 2nd AIF -his service no. doesn't contain the 'X' for external service. You should see about getting them mounted together-very easily lost if seperate-have heard of families splitting medal groups up so siblings 'get one each' not understanding the significance of the overall grouping.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Mick-a slight correction-your relie was Militia not 2nd AIF -his service no. doesn't contain the 'X' for external service. You should see about getting them mounted together-very easily lost if seperate-have heard of families splitting medal groups up so siblings 'get one each' not understanding the significance of the overall grouping.
    Yes your right Mate,
    He was Taken on Strength with the 101 Aust Tank Attack Regt,and ended up in the 1 Aust Tank Attack Artillery Training Regt as an instructor,his rank was Bombadier.
    There is a stamp on his Attestation Form that reads --1st A Tk Regt R.A.A.(M)

Dont worry they will stay together,like my Grandfathers medals,after he died the family wanted to split them,but i fought hard to keep them together and now they take pride of place on my wall
    Cheers Mick

Dad's- 2/3 Tank Attack Regt (sounds more proactive in 'modern speak').
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.   Medals Recieved 67 Yrs later.  

?

Good work Mick, great to see well deserved recognition for his service to our country has been received
    by his family.

Brad.

Nice move Mick Well deserved.

Quote by aussie mick View Post
    Yes your right Mate,
    He was Taken on Strength with the 101 Aust Tank Attack Regt,and ended up in the 1 Aust Tank Attack Artillery Training Regt as an instructor,his rank was Bombadier.
    There is a stamp on his Attestation Form that reads --1st A Tk Regt R.A.A.(M)

Dont worry they will stay together,like my Grandfathers medals,after he died the family wanted to split them,but i fought hard to keep them together and now they take pride of place on my wall
    Cheers Mick
    Hi Mick well done on keeping these together I don't understand why people want to split these up or sell off their families history.
    I also did the same and applied and got my grandafthers WW2 service medals to go with his WW1 medals, I've never found out why he didn't receive these medals himself after the war.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2