Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Military Medal to a Royal Engineer

Article about: Several years ago, I made a trade for this fine WWI Military Medal awarded to: 165797 Spr. L/Cpl. A. Thornhill. R.E. Alfred was also entitled to the War and Victory medals as well. I know th

Default Military Medal to a Royal Engineer

Several years ago, I made a trade for this fine WWI Military Medal awarded to:

165797 Spr. L/Cpl. A. Thornhill. R.E.

Alfred was also entitled to the War and Victory medals as well.

I know this may be quite a stretch, but I'm looking for these other medals,
    and possibly information about the action that won him this one,
    if anyone has any thoughts........

Regards,

Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military Medal to a Royal Engineer  

OKW
    ?

Default Re: Military Medal to a Royal Engineer

Start off, unless you've already done so, with a search of the London Gazette web site which should give a rough idea when the action the medal was awarded took place, bearing in mind there would be a lag in publishing dates. The MM was awarded from 1916 onwards and where there may have been an element of backward awarding awards are for events 1916-1920. MM's were awarded for the Allied intervention in Russia in support of the White forces. If you are a member try ancestry for a search of your man attestation papers, there was a free 2 week trial period on this. The bad news is once split medals are extremely hard to reunite. Further bad news is that a lot of BWM's were melted down in the late 70's when their silver value exceeded their collector value. Good luck.
    P.s what are the medals either side, LSGC or MSM right hand side? the yellow ribbon 2 bars has me at present.

OKW, Thanks !

I've downloaded the Gazette where he is listed and also found his medal card but was hoping (perhaps in vain ) someone on the forum would either have the others, or know someone who does...................doesn't hurt to ask, as you never know. I continually check all WWI pairs and singles
    I come across ! !

Thought about finding a nice blank or erased pair to put with it, as I've seen that done before, or find another R.E. set with the same last name. - A lot of great history and valuable collectibles were destroyed when silver went
    up back then !

Medals either side of MM are pictured to below..............
    I might as well show the whole tray !

Regards,

Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military Medal to a Royal Engineer   Military Medal to a Royal Engineer  

MOST of the tray.......................A jumbled assortment !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military Medal to a Royal Engineer   Military Medal to a Royal Engineer  

OKW
    ?

Yes a very jumbled assortment you need to send them to me to look after
    Don't buy erased, i read recently that medals are still purposely being erased to fill this market so their history and chance of a reunite are lost forever.
    I have noticed that alot of engineer MM's are awarded for cable repairs under fire, the engineers being concerned with comms before the advent of the Signals. Mind you he could be a tunneller.
    If you have the Gazette entry that sometimes gives place of residence. From that a trawl through local papers may give more details of why awarded, most citations were destroyed as not required not of interest. You could also try British Medal Forum.

?

Hmmmm !!!!!! A VERY interesting tray

Some cracking pieces !!!

Gary J.

Quote by OKW View Post
    Yes a very jumbled assortment you need to send them to me to look after
    Don't buy erased, i read recently that medals are still purposely being erased to fill this market so their history and chance of a reunite are lost forever.
    I have noticed that alot of engineer MM's are awarded for cable repairs under fire, the engineers being concerned with comms before the advent of the Signals. Mind you he could be a tunneller.
    If you have the Gazette entry that sometimes gives place of residence. From that a trawl through local papers may give more details of why awarded, most citations were destroyed as not required not of interest. You could also try British Medal Forum.
    I could RENT them to you ! ......... HA HA ! !

I forgot, he was with a survey battalion !

"2nd Field Survey Batallion"
    Gazetted 1919.

I wrote it all down, somewhere...........! !

Regards,

Steve.

OKW
    ?

Is the Crimea named?

Quote by OKW View Post
    Is the Crimea named?

Yes it is...

Last name - "RIX" - HMS RODNEY

It is not at hand at the moment,
    but I'm sure this is correct.

Regards,

Steve.

[QUOTE=Walkwolf;94571

165797 Spr. L/Cpl. A. Thornhill. R.E.
    2nd Field Survey Batallion
    ( Stratford )

Gazetted : August, 1919 - Second Supplement.

This is as much as I could find.........

Regards,

Steve.[/QUOTE]....
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 09-19-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Spelling.........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast