Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Canadian General Service Medal, Fenian raid 1866

Article about: Thank you for your suggestions Deano! And Wagriff, No it does not have the copper hue in real life. It is sterling silver, but my poor photomanship (if that is a word) made it look that way.

Default My Canadian General Service Medal, Fenian raid 1866

This is my Canadian General Service medal for the Fenian raid of 1866. It was given to Private Wellington Pattison of the 39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles Simcoe. I was able to find out that it was awarded to him for the 1866 raid by using Library and Archive Canada. I would appreciate any help as to how I might be able to repair it to its former glory. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Canadian General Service Medal, Fenian raid 1866   My Canadian General Service Medal, Fenian raid 1866  

Very nice medal.

Unfortunately, you would likely end up lowering the value and collectability of it if you attempted a repair. The suspension loop on these heavy silver medals was quite elaborate and one would have to be fabricated by a silver smith-along with the 1866 bar as well, I would imagine. The Next step would be to find a replacement ribbon which would be difficult, but not impossible.

Do a Google Images search for the GSM with 1866 bar and you'll see what I mean. It would be a horrendously difficult project.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you for your opinion. It is much appreciated! I will probably keep it as it is. Perhaps someday I will get a better example.

In the meanwhile, it Is still an Issued badge and is an actual piece of Canadian History. True, they were not given out until many years later when the unfortunate veterans were old or vanishing quickly, but they are what they are and they will always be "History in your Hands"! Not to mention, a Beautiful design-perhaps one of the most attractive in the series!
    William

Yes, they are quite beautiful. Very ornate.

?

I remember seeing a company in the UK that made Proper silver repros of the suspenders for this and other Medals, I would guess they do that as so many have them missing, problem I cannot remember who they were.
    You might do a search on the net for repro Medal suspenders.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Yes, I think this may be the site you were talking about. Just Medals - Victorian Era Medal Clasps, Suspenders and Buckles . I contemplated buying replacements but thought I would wait a bit in case a real one comes up. That may be wishful thinking though. Thank you for the help.

?

I have never seen a real/period suspender come up for sale for one of these, and I have seen many CGSMs show up without them.
    If you do go that way, take it to someone that can put in a proper silver pin

DEan O
    Ajax Canada

Just for accuracy's sake....the medal you show-it does Not have the copper hue to it in real life, right?
    William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast