Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My french medals collection.

Article about: The St Helena medal is beautiful and not too expensive either considering its age. Only be careful about the ribbon many people put WW1 Croix de Guerra's on because the design is the same, a

Default Re: My french medals collection.

The St Helena medal is beautiful and not too expensive either considering its age. Only be careful about the ribbon many people put WW1 Croix de Guerra's on because the design is the same, also be cafeful that the crucifix is still on top of the crown. Many have broken off during time and I even heard some vets filed theirs off proclaiming "there is no god" when the republic fell.My french medals collection.My french medals collection.

Default Re: My french medals collection.

I hadn't even noticed the cross on top. Thanks for the info.

David,

I've asked you before but I can find the message. How can you tell the difference between a re-strict and orginial CdG? The ball at the top of the medal is circle and one is oval right?

Tzipi x

Hi, Its nice to hear from you, I haven't been on in awhile. For which version of the CdG? WW1 versions all seem to be the same other then the dates on the back. For the ww2 its kind of hard to tell, but they were not re made with a shiny guild like campaign medals are, but be careful because they are restrikes by the US gov't but those versions are easy to spot because they just look off and their ribbons are like US ribbons. the T.O.E older versions have the sides of the sword handles touching the cross, the modern versions do not touch the cross, perhaps it is the same with WW2 CdG's?
    I have been collecting French badges lately, I think they are awesome, plus the history behind some of them is even more interesting then a medal. I will put photos up one day. If you want to contact me its better to hit me up at rednovember30@aol rather then here.

And you. I'm looking to collect both. I know the differences between the official and unofficial crosses. I know the official crosses have the swords touching the cross and the face is slimmer and the writing is sharper. Are these the only tell tale signs? And with the dates on
    Y the official crosses have 1939 whereas the unofficial has many different dates.

Yeah, basically most crosses are period era to 50's. Their are lots of "theater" made crosses they differ in quality and fabrics on the ribbon and dates, they tend to be a little more harder to come by. I think everything you mentioned is all the info out there? Its not a rare medal so I wouldn't worry to much about the ones you see for sale. If you see crosses however with the ribbon showing multiple ribbons, like L>O>H with a military medal and a CdG those are not legit ribbons. The ball bearings that were olive opposed to round only goes for some of the older campaign medals as far as I know.

Hey I picked up some new stuff I will post it when I have time.

Anything new your way?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2