My Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War Medals

Article about: God bless him.

Default Re: My Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War MedalPost

God bless him.

4md
    ?

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hi Paul It all depends how long he served overseas a lot of guys didn't qualify for the 39-45 star because they didn't do the required 6 months overseas service, you see a lot of pacific groups like this with guys who spent a couple of months in New Guinea then returning home as you only had to step foot in New Guinea for one day to get the Pacific star... He should have received the 1939-45 Australian service medal though.
    I didnt know the six month rule, you would feel ripped off if you spent 4 or 5 months in new guinea

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hi Paul It all depends how long he served overseas a lot of guys didn't qualify for the 39-45 star because they didn't do the required 6 months overseas service, you see a lot of pacific groups like this with guys who spent a couple of months in New Guinea then returning home as you only had to step foot in New Guinea for one day to get the Pacific star... He should have received the 1939-45 Australian service medal though.
    My Pop's medal group is a good example of what Luke said.
    He was stricken with malaria and was shipped home early.

All the best
    Dave

AIF
    ?

Quote by 4md View Post
    I didnt know the six month rule, you would feel ripped off if you spent 4 or 5 months in new guinea
    Yeah the diggers had a go at the government for years and years about it too!! Eventually the Australian government gave in and waived the 6 month rule some time in the 1990s and gave all the guys who were still alive their medal.

Quote by AIF View Post
    A great comment there,my granddad has an ITALY STAR,WAR ,AND DEFENCE MEDALS .He also never got a 1939-45 star for the very same reason as you stated.He was in North Africa after the fighting had finished and then pushed up through Italy where the other awards were given.( the defense medal was for putting out fires from german bombing in NORWICH) Leon.

AIF
    ?

Default Re: My Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War Medal

Well those that applied anyway...

4md
    ?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    The one with the red and crimson ribbon is the "Naval Service Medal" 1915-1962.
    Interesting when combined with the "Infantry Frontline Service Medal" which is an unofficial 2/12th Battalion award issued by the 2/12th Battalion Association.
    I will keep looking for the other two.

Cheers
    Dave
    My grandfather has a infantry frontline service medal im not sure about only the 2/12 i think any Infantry soldier?

Im not sure how it worked though weather they ordered them personally or were given them by their battalions?

AIF
    ?

No Dave is right it was originally designed and awarded through the 2/12th association, but eventually a heap of other infantry associations got them for their guys as well.

See these links: British campaign medals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia & Australian campaign medals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS it was the Aust Service Medal 39-45 that had the qual period reduced from 18 months overseas service to 1 month in 1996, not the 39-45 Star.

my grandfather was a scientist post war so he was in hiroshima & nagisaki for many post years testing the bomb post war effects.
    i probably have some japanese half brother or sister over there somewhere,.
    the medals you requested are

-the maroon ribbon medal is-Mine sweeping 1945-1951
    -the black & orange ribbon medal is-Hiroshima & nagosaki Atomic tests 1952-1958-for servive in radioactive areas montebellos,xmas island,japan
    -the colourfull ribbon meda is-occupation of japan/Bomb & mine clearance-for foreighn servica
    thanks for your intrest in my grandfathers medals,its been fun.My Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War MedalsMy Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War MedalsMy Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War MedalsMy Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War MedalsMy Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War MedalsMy Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War MedalsMy Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War MedalsMy Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War Medalsl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War Medals   My Gandfathers WW2 Pacific War Medals  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast