Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Grandpa's Medals

Article about: These were all awarded to him while he was in service. I'm not sure the medals with the A on them are military or not, though. Just wanted to know what you all think. Also does anyone know w

Default U.S Military Medals and Ribbons

These were all awarded to him while he was in service. I'm not sure the medals with the A on them are military or not, though. Just wanted to know what you all think. Also does anyone know what the patch with the A and 5, the patch with the T, and the littkle gold eagle patch mean? Thanks,Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandpa's Medals   My Grandpa's Medals  

My Grandpa's Medals   My Grandpa's Medals  

My Grandpa's Medals  
    Last edited by ColonelNick; 05-31-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Default Re: My Grandpa's Medals

The A patch with the 5 is for the 5th Army, and the medical devices with the " A " are used by the Army during WW2 by the Army, as he would have been a medical officer, the " A " stands for ADMINISTRATION, and one beside that one is for MEDICAL SERVICE OFFICER COLLAR INSIGNIA.

The ranks are 1st. Lieutenant, Capt, and Lt. Colonel.

The 2 patches are , 1 is called the ruptured duck, they received that when discharged from the military after the war, and the rank one is for a technical corporal.

The 2 stars are both BRONZE STARS.

Need anymore answered, just let me know.

Brian

Thanks for the reply. What is the one that is sterling silver and looks like a flower, 1st picture, very center.

With the 7 leafs, that is a Lt. Colonel rank.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images My Grandpa's Medals 

?

Nice stuff! we should start a proper thread where everyone shows his grandpa's decorations!
    Regards

Matt

nice idea

wow, it looks like he did a lot. bronze star? philippines ribbon? medical officer? thats a lot haha.

its ironic, i just bought a complete class a uniform complete with hat and shoes. the jacket had a red cross armband and medical staff insignia, as well as a philippines ribbon : )

Corporal stripes for 'Technician' - 5th grade ? ! ? ( Some of these things he must have picked up later perhaps )

The Eagles heads on the Colonel rank insignia are both facing the same way,
    they should be opposing one another to be a true pair. Could you please post a photo of their reverses?

MS 'Medical Service' caduceus insignia, I think this is Korean War era.

'Armed Forces Reserve' ( Inst. 1950 ) medal with the 'star' on it is odd, as it should have
    an hourglass device on it for extended time served.

Curiously, two of the medals are very modern/current by the look of their new cases.
    When was he discharged ? The US Meritorious Service Medal was instituted in 1969,
    and I know it was sometimes bestowed upon retirement........

One of the Bronze Star button hole ribbons is in the wrong case as well. it belongs
    in the older WWII style case.

5th Army patch, this was in and around the Mediterranean I think.?
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-31-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

nice! these aren't even half of my grandpa's medals. He also has a red cross patch but it is with my grandmother. I was also surprised how much he did too.

He retired in 1980 I believe. But yes he was in WWII and the Korean War. But sure enough these are all of his medals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast