Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My Grandpa's Medals

Article about: These were all awarded to him while he was in service. I'm not sure the medals with the A on them are military or not, though. Just wanted to know what you all think. Also does anyone know w

Default Re: My Grandpa's Medals

Yes, it does look like your Grandfather did do a lot during WW2 , and was decorated so, But from my experiences from my multiple tours in Iraq, the officers that never left the wire, that always stayed on the fobs, or the LSA's, usually got the most medals, as did the morons that worked in the office, the REMF'S.

They never got shot at, had an IED go off on them, or an ambush, but they all ways seemed to get the best medals, and usually was'nt a ceremony for them for those awards, they were just given to them.

kinda of like the guys down in Kuwait, that never had to carry their weapon every day, NEVER had to put on the damn IBA, and ACH, and drive up and down the MSR's everyday, for over the 3 years i was there, that happened everyday.

They have a Beautiful pool, great commisary, PX's, everything , and they still got paid combat pay, a combat patch, and tax free pay.

And they didnt see any combat at all, NONE....

I'm not saying you're Grandfather didnt earn his, but things seemed to change in the last 5 years or so, it seems like more, and more officers were getting medals that they didnt earn.

I understand what you're saying but my grandpa did see combat for sure. He would tell me stories when I was younger. I believe he got the Bronze star when his ship got bombed and he jumped off and swam to shore saving a man's life. If I'm not mistaken he swam back to save more men. I wish I knew what ship this was though.

that sounds almost a bit more than bronze star worthy lol

my old neighbor earned 5 bronze stars in the pacific... shoulda traded them all for a medal of honor haha.

but yea the 5th army was led by gen. clark in italy. i cant recall if it was in north africa. it odd though that he would have the liberation of the philippines medal and a patch for the 5th army... unless he was reassigned obviously

I guess it wasn't medal of honor worthy, haha

Quote by ColonelNick View Post
    I understand what you're saying but my grandpa did see combat for sure. He would tell me stories when I was younger. I believe he got the Bronze star when his ship got bombed and he jumped off and swam to shore saving a man's life. If I'm not mistaken he swam back to save more men. I wish I knew what ship this was though.

Was it in the Mediterranean Sea during WWII that he was bombed ? ?

I have a friend who's late pilot father was bombed in the Med in WWII.
    They were moving to new HQ when they were hit, and he lost all his belongings........

The Medal Of Honor is for putting your own life on the line 'above and beyond the call of duty'.
    As medical personnel, part of his his regular duty was to save lives.

The saving of a life is 'Soldier's Medal' worthy, however, in a non-combat situation............
    Regards,

Steve.

I couldn't tell you to be honest. I'd have to ask my mom. This week I;m contacting the National Archives for a report on his military career and medal,decorations, and ribbons. Hopefully I can give you guys a good story on what happened by the end of this week

Thanks for sharing. Are any one of the Bronze stars inscribed? Here are some photos of my Grandad's Purple Heart, with inscription. His bronze star is inscribed too, with his initials. I'll get around to getting some pictures up of it if I remember.

My inscribed Purple Heart

The bronze star with the valor pins on it has his name inscribed on the back of his medals

I hear ya on the philippines medal but the 5th became a command unit for army reserve postwar and he has an army reserve medal with star attachment so I'm gonna guess he spent the years immediatly after the war with the then "new" US 5th Army Command and I would guess if we saw the back of the patch it would be late war or post with light "snow." But the real question is why two good conducts and not the knot attachment? US ribbon bars never cease to amaze me!!! If anyone has cool ribbon bars with Philippine ribbons or something strange lets see em'!!!

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    that sounds almost a bit more than bronze star worthy lol

my old neighbor earned 5 bronze stars in the pacific... shoulda traded them all for a medal of honor haha.

but yea the 5th army was led by gen. clark in italy. i cant recall if it was in north africa. it odd though that he would have the liberation of the philippines medal and a patch for the 5th army... unless he was reassigned obviously

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2