Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Named Vietnam War Medal Grouping to a KIA - 5th Special Forces Group (SFG), Detachment A-109

Article about: Thanks, Steve. They actually have a virtual medal grouping on the site. The great thing about the memorial is that in addition to a photo, the person who posted the photo served with Barry a

?

Default Re: Named Vietnam War Medal Grouping to a KIA - 5th Special Forces Group (SFG), Detachment A-109

Thanks, Steve. They actually have a virtual medal grouping on the site. The great thing about the memorial is that in addition to a photo, the person who posted the photo served with Barry and Left their email. I plan on sending him a message in hopes to get some first hand stories.

Default Re: Named Vietnam War Medal Grouping to a KIA - 5th Special Forces Group (SFG), Detachment A-109

yuengling325

Literally, brings tears to my eyes! Thanks for sharing your story and taking care of his medals! Now his memory will live-on through the visitors to your "war room". I also have a Purple Heart and his family lives very, very, close to me, oddly. I haven't posted it here, not sure I want his kin to contact me.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Thanks, Green! Seeing the photo of Barry definitely gave me a different kind of feeling for this group compared to other items I have that are named, however there is no face to put to the name. Especially considering the photo would have been taken not long before he made the ultimate sacrifice.

Obviously, posting the soldiers name can potentially open up a can of worms. There is always the chance for a family member to contact you requesting the items be returned either for legitimate (the medals were dear to someone in the family) or nefarious reasons (they see value in the item(s) and want them returned so they can sell them and make some cash). If someone were to contact me, I'm not sure how I would handle the situation. It would surely be a struggle to determine what the best thing is to do.

On another forum where I’m an active member, USMF, this has been discussed ad nauseam. Some have returned medals to the family (at no cost or for what they have paid just to recoup their expense) while others have the mindset that unless the medals were stolen, obviously the vet or closest next of kin parted ways with them for a reason, therefore they are rightfully the new owner. Below is a link the thread, which for any collector of named items, is a good read (hope this is OK).

When the Family comes calling......... - U.S. Militaria Forum

With respect to this grouping, I'm 99% sure that the person who was last in possession of them was the only remaining immediate family member, however I won’t go into details on how I'm so certain of this. Yours is a different situation since you know the family is still living, however that being the case, you have to wonder why the medals were sold in the first place and are now in your possession?

I have a similar issue related to a family members medals. I have a great uncle who was KIA in WWII and was awarded the Purple Heart and an Air Medal posthumously, so they would most likely have been inscribed with his name. The whereabouts of these medals are unknown. Were I ever to come across them, I would make more than a fair offer to the owner and if they passed on that offer, I would understand. I would ask for photos of the medals and that in the event he or she ever does choose to sell them, that they give me the first opportunity to buy.

However, I am a collector of these items and understand how someone with no family connection to the person who was awarded or issued them, can still have an attachment. Someone outside of our collecting interest may not have the same mentality. This is why some collectors, similar to your situation, will not post names to avoid any hassle that may come as a result. And I can agree with their reasoning….

Eric

You are more eloquent with your statement than I can hope to be. You have hit the nail on the head, someone, most likely a family member, parted with it. I would give the medal to the family if it were stolen, short of that, It'll be safe here It has also crossed my mind that I wouldn't want the family to be contacted, for whatever reason, by a third party.

Your medal grouping has a specific and unique circumstance and only you know what it is, and this allows you to post it. My medal.....I don't care to share the hero's name. Just my decision as some things are best left unsaid. I will post pics in the future but cover the name. The pics will accomplish the same result with or without the name, I think.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Thanks, Green.

I agree 100%; you know your hero's story and that is all that matters. Even with the name not shown, I look forward to seeing them.

Hi Eric

Now that Christmas is in the rear view mirror, more time is had for photography and such. I will post it for all to see, with name covered, of course.

Green

Those are very nice. Keep them safe!

?

Hi All,
    I recieved the following information from NPRC related to Barry's service and thought I would add it to this thread.

The first sheet lists his tour dates and basic information. It also lists all of the medals he was awarded, which was definitely needed so I could complete the display I am working on. Interestingly, it does not list his Purple Heart, despite the fact I have his which is officially engraved. Just goes to show you that records were not always well maintained.

Named Vietnam War Medal Grouping to a  KIA - 5th Special Forces Group (SFG), Detachment  A-109

Second sheet contains a his various training assignments and eventually his assignment with 5th SFG. Unfortunately, the dates are blocked out. Would this be due to the FOIA, or because he was Special Forces? In any case, this information has given me further to investigate as it seems he jumped around to various bases for training.

Named Vietnam War Medal Grouping to a  KIA - 5th Special Forces Group (SFG), Detachment  A-109

And finally, the last sheet contains his official photo. He kind of reminds me of DeNiro in Taxi Driver….

?

And here is the display I put together in memory of Barry's service and sacrifice. All added items are period, to the best of my knowledge, with the exception of the Vietnam Campaign medal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2