Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

No Idea What This Is?

Article about: Friends, This medal belonged to my great-grandfather, who served in the Navy during WWII. All I know about him comes from my grandmother. She gave me this medal that she said belonged to him

?

My great great great grandfather was a GAR commander in 1938. This is not one that would be issued by the National GAR. But I am leaning that this is for one of the state conventions. See if you can match that seal to one of the states and you should have it.

?

Thanks for the input guys. I will keep looking and hopefully I can figure out what this thing is!

?

I've got it! Haven't figured out what the medal was for but seems I am missing a good portion of the entire award! You guys were right, Grand Army of the Republic it is! Here is a photo of what the entire award should look like.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No Idea What This Is?  

?

The star on the bottom reads "Grand Army of the Republic" on the top portion of the circle and "1861 Veteran 1866" on the bottom.

?

Now I am even more confused. The photo I posted earlier is the only picture I can find where the medal that I posted is actually attached to the ribbon. Here is another photo that shows up multiple times online.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No Idea What This Is?  

?

Appears that the medal is a veterans medal, with the colonial bar showing the owners rank.

- - ------- - -

Still unsure of what the bottom piece below the colonial bar means though.

MAP
    ?

Agree, these are two separate medals put together.

I KNOW i've seen the twin peaks symbol before. Probably here on WRF....but I can not be sure. That's about all I can do at this point.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks Michael, good to know I'm not going crazy. The first picture of the two awards together did look like they were put together by someone who did not know what they were doing, so that is good news as it means I am not missing a piece. I can't seem to find the medal that I own by itself. Back to the drawing boards.

My reaction was the same as MAP's. The suspension looks like a miniature U.S. Army colonel's shoulder strap, probably 19th cent.

The pendant is a representation of the state seal of Ohio....sunrise behind the Appalachians, wheat sheaf, river (no steamboat), bundle of arrows (should be 17 for 17th state in the Union).

So very likely GAR award, or some Ohio Civil War veterans' encampment trophy.

Sorry I can't be more help but there are collectors of GAR etc. material out there who could probably identify the medal, or state museum in Columbus would surely know.

It's a nice piece.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Patgore View Post
    My reaction was the same as MAP's. The suspension looks like a miniature U.S. Army colonel's shoulder strap, probably 19th cent.

The pendant is a representation of the state seal of Ohio....sunrise behind the Appalachians, wheat sheaf, river (no steamboat), bundle of arrows (should be 17 for 17th state in the Union).

So very likely GAR award, or some Ohio Civil War veterans' encampment trophy.

Sorry I can't be more help but there are collectors of GAR etc. material out there who could probably identify the medal, or state museum in Columbus would surely know.

It's a nice piece.
    I KNEW I saw that symbol before and it was killing me. Great info and solves a major piece of the puzzle. So State seal of Ohio it is!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2