Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Original WW2 period french medal???

Article about: Hi, what's your oppinion on this french medal? Is this a original ww2 period or post war copy? Is it possible to date it by the pictures? Regards Fábio

Default Original WW2 period french medal???

Hi,
    what's your oppinion on this french medal?
    Is this a original ww2 period or post war copy?
    Is it possible to date it by the pictures?
    Regards

Fábio
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original WW2 period french medal???   Original WW2 period french medal???  

Original WW2 period french medal???   Original WW2 period french medal???  

Default Re: Original WW2 period french medal???

I don't know what this is, but considering it bears the date '1945', I wouldn't exactly call it a wartime medal. Perhaps a French victory medal? I know nothing of French awards except for what a Croix du Guerre looks like.

By the way, it says "Republic of France", and guerre means "war".

?

Hi Fábio,
    see here-1939-1945 .

?

This is a WW2 medal, but I've seen two examples of this and the bar said either "Liberation" or "Defense passive". I've never seen a "Allemagne" which leaves me to believe this was awarded to a resistance member fighting in Allemange. I'm not 100% sure but, I could be right.

kc1
    ?

Allemagne is French for Germany, so someone who had been awarded the clasp would have been involved presumably in combat in Germany. This would have been unlikely to have been a 'resistance' operative but more likely Free French Forces, although people were conscripted into these forces as France was liberated. There was also a period early in the war when the French invaded a part of Germany in the south of that country. It wasn't much of an invasion but may have qualified the wearer for this clasp.