Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Outstanding Service Citation signed by Field Marshall Montgomery

Article about: Hello gents, got hold of this today, really pleased with it - but struggling to find anything about the Sgt in question! Also with it was his i.d bracelet, were this officially handed out? A

Default Outstanding Service Citation signed by Field Marshall Montgomery

Hello gents, got hold of this today, really pleased with it - but struggling to find anything about the Sgt in question!

Also with it was his i.d bracelet, were this officially handed out? Any information on the Sgt would be really appreciated!

His name is Sgt Twaite D.C, 21st Army Group but I am unfamiliar with the term D.C, unless just initials for his name?

Outstanding Service Citation signed by Field Marshall Montgomery

Default Re: Outstanding Service Citation signed by Field Marshall Montgomery

Quote by johnphillips View Post
    Hello gents, got hold of this today, really pleased with it - but struggling to find anything about the Sgt in question!

Also with it was his i.d bracelet, were this officially handed out? Any information on the Sgt would be really appreciated!

His name is Sgt Twaite D.C, 21st Army Group but I am unfamiliar with the term D.C, unless just initials for his name?
    The document was known as the Commander-in-Chief's Certificate, which was given out as a form of award at the discretion of the C-in-C (Montgomery). It was awarded for various reasons, including men who were nominated for a medal and didn't qualify, or just men who it was felt deserved recognition in some way.

On to the man.... 'D C' is indeed his name, his full title being Serjeant D C Twaite, Royal Artillery. His rank is W/Serjeant, with the W standing for 'war substantive', meaning he was a serjeant for the duration of the war only.

His unit was 55th (Suffolk & Norfolk Yeomanry) Anti-Tank Regiment, which formed part of the 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division. This division was under command of First Canadian Army during it's time with 21st Army Group.

Rob

PS I can't help this, but you have done my pet hate thing.... Montgomery's rank was Field Marshal... Marshall is the brand of amplifiers used by Motörhead...

I forgot one thing, the ID bracelet was not official issue. They were a very popular private purchase item (in both World Wars), often received as gifts from wives and girlfriends.

OK, I have to go to work now

Rob

Thanks so much! It's great to get all that information, that would make sense with the Suffolk regiment as I myself live in Suffolk, and acquired it here.

Are these items rare at all? I was really pleased to pick it up!

And apologies for the Marshal error, I actually play in a band for a living so am surrounded by the amp make daily, haha.

Thanks so much! It's great to get all that information, that would make sense with the Suffolk regiment as I myself live in Suffolk, and acquired it here.
    No problem It would definitely seem to be a local piece then. The Loyal Suffolk Hussars Yeomanry were converted from their TA cavalry status to Royal Artillery in 1920. They were amalgamated with the Norfolk Yeomanry at the same time, but in 1938, they were split into the 55th and 65th AT Regiments, RA, with the Suffolk half being the 55th.

Are these items rare at all? I was really pleased to pick it up!
    The C-inC's Certificates are certainly not common. They were in reality a form of award, and although officially they weren't recognised, they were certainly held in high regard within 21st Army Group. I have seen regimental histories where recipients of the C-in-C's Cert are listed alongside those who won Military Crosses, Military Medals, OBEs and the like, which shows that whatever the official histories might say, they were considered as decorations by the veterans themselves. It's a good thing to own Very typical of Montgomery as well, who really was an outstanding commander, with probably the best grasp of the tactical realities of warfare at the time of any of the major General officers (my opinion of course).

And apologies for the Marshal error, I actually play in a band for a living so am surrounded by the amp make daily, haha.
    That's OK, it's just one of those things that annoys me The other one is the shrapnel/shell fragments thing. What kind of music?

Rob

Maggie Dinning
    ?

I have my fathers certificate from Momty he landed D Day and I think it may have something to do with the huge explosion of Fuel on the landing beaches he was next to. He was in the Ox& Bucks