Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Period Items?

Article about: by Blitzkrieg Bop What are back lights? I've heard you guys reference them a lot. Thanks for the feedback too. A "Black Light" is one of those light bulbs that is "purple colo

Default Re: Period Items?

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    What are back lights? I've heard you guys reference them a lot. Thanks for the feedback too.
    A "Black Light" is one of those light bulbs that is "purple colored". This dates me a bit, but in the 1960's they used Black Lights to make the pshycodelic Hippy posters glow from the bright fluoresent paint used.

The theory with black lights is that they did not use synthetic thread back in WW2, and the natural material fiber threads they used back then will not "glow" when looked at under a black light bulb. I may need to be corrected a little, but this is the general idea behind "Black Lights"

Regards, Steve
    Last edited by Kilroy Was Here; 08-26-2010 at 11:01 AM.

?

No worries, Killroy! These were still in use by stoners when I was in high school over 12 years ago. I of course did not consort with such individuals!

One thing to note is the black light will help to confirm synthetics a majority of the time. If a period item is run through the clothes washer, this can cause a false positive. Also, as Mike pointed out, later in the war synthetic materials became available so an item still should not be initially ruled out as post war or fake if it glows under black light.

This is why, if you get into the more expensive patches or insignia, you should become familiar with the way they are constructed and feel to be able to identify an authentic piece. The black light should be used as an initial detection tool and your knowledge of the items as the final deciding factor.

Also, if you are interested in how to spot early, late or post war US medals, below is a link to a tutorial on brooch styles.
    eBay Guides - US Medal Brooch Styles
    Last edited by Masonk; 08-26-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    No worries, Killroy! These were still in use by stoners when I was in high school over 12 years ago. I of course did not consort with such individuals!
    Haha! OK, sure you "did not inhale" Me neither. I do know what you say, the 60's clothing and mindset reappeared again 10 to 15 or so years ago. All these styles and "fads" come and go in cycles.

Also agreed, the blacklight is just "one" tool to use. You also have to have some knowledge of what you are looking at, and the construction, materials, history etc. A lot of times over the years I have also used my nose to help tell authenticity of items. It's hard to fake a 65+ year old smell from an item. Of course this depends on the items in question. and does not work too well with GCM's.

Regards, Steve

Thanks guys. Do you know anywhere I can purchase one?

If you are in the US, here is a link. They have different types of handheld blacklights which are good for taking to a show. i like the one that costs about 50 dollars. It is a very strong spectrum and will show up anything that fluoreseces.
    Black Light handheld portable rechargeable blacklight for locating scorpions and pet urine stains

Blacklight Shop - MBL-49 BLACK LIGHT WITH HOLSTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2