Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Pip, Squeek & Wilfred

Article about: Good evening I have purchased this lovely group of First World War campaign medals and as the Centenary of the end of that conflict fast approaches I thought I'd share them with the forum. T

?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Very nice I too have just bought my first WWI medal grouping . Gary
    Thank you Gary, It's opened up a new chapter in my collecting.
    Ken

I have found and attached his medal card if you are interested. You will see he went to France in July 1915.

The 1915 medal roll on Ancestry show that he served as a private in the 7th Battalion.

The medal roll for VM/BWM shows him as acting Company Quarter Master Sergeant.

The two men with service numbers either side of his were both killed.

G/1381 Collins S. A. 03/05/1915 2nd Battalion. Menin Gate Memorial Ypres

G/1383 Collard A. S. 01/07/1916 7th Battalion. Thiepval Memorial.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pip, Squeek & Wilfred  

Hi Wilco,

Nice little group you have there. I've also found your chap was witness to an accidental fatal shooting - his statement is on page 2 in the documents below.

Regards,

Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pip, Squeek & Wilfred   Pip, Squeek & Wilfred  

Pip, Squeek & Wilfred  

Interesting that it mentions taking the magazine out of a revolver.

?

Quote by Richie B View Post
    I have found and attached his medal card if you are interested. You will see he went to France in July 1915.

The 1915 medal roll on Ancestry show that he served as a private in the 7th Battalion.

The medal roll for VM/BWM shows him as acting Company Quarter Master Sergeant.

The two men with service numbers either side of his were both killed.

Thank you Richie B for this information and the attached documents. I have some other documents on Alfred and will post them on here this afternoon. I've got these documents from the dealers I purchased them from.
    Thank you again for you're help and information.
    Ken

?

Quote by Moonraker View Post
    Hi Wilco,

Nice little group you have there. I've also found your chap was witness to an accidental fatal shooting - his statement is on page 2 in the documents below.

Regards,

Paul
    Paul, Thank you for this great bit of information about Alfred. What a thing to witness, as if the War wasn't bad enough.
    Ken

?

Alfred Nicholls
    22 years & 240 Days
    5ft 6in
    Gamekeeper
    Service towards limited service reckons from 4th Sept 1914
    Joined at Canterbury in Kent on the 8th Sept 1914
    He was in England from joining until the 27th July 1915 when he was posted to the B.E.F France, in France from 28th July 1915.

Pip, Squeek & Wilfred Pip, Squeek & Wilfred

I have also found and purchased this book on the East Kent Regiment 1914 - 1919, now all I need is a WWI Buffs cap badge and I will display these with pride.

I would dearly love to find some service info on my Grandfather but I only have a little information on him as everyone who could help in the family are no longer with us.

William Broad
    Brothers Charlie Broad & Thomas Broad (Thomas was killed in the 1st war)
    Born June 18th 1907 or 1908
    Lived in Clarke buildings - Soho
    Royal Engineers, Joined the Territorials in 1938
    That's really all I have, mission impossible I think.

Thanks again for you're help with Alfred and sorry for asking about my Granddad.
    Ken

if you had your Grandfathers TA medal or other way of knowing his army number you can apply to the mod for his service records for a small fee.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    if you had your Grandfathers TA medal or other way of knowing his army number you can apply to the mod for his service records for a small fee.
    Hi Jerry
    Thanks for getting back to me. Sadly I only have his miniature medals and they are not marked. It really is frustrating for me as I know he did so much.
    Ken

Quote by Wilko View Post
    Hi Jerry
    Thanks for getting back to me. Sadly I only have his miniature medals and they are not marked. It really is frustrating for me as I know he did so much.
    Ken
    Ken,

I was lucky and have my dads full size medals which included his TA medal with his army number and I was able to get his records, so much more in them than he ever mentioned.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast