Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Pip, Squeek & Wilfred

Article about: Good evening I have purchased this lovely group of First World War campaign medals and as the Centenary of the end of that conflict fast approaches I thought I'd share them with the forum. T

?

Well it's been a bit of a job finding the information that I required and a bit of luck into the bargain. By chance my mum was looking through some old paper work and she stumbled onto my dad's birth certificate. He was born in 1942 and by chance next to my Granddad's name we found the following details.
    William Broad,
    Corporal,
    Royal Engineers 2092380,
    occupation Lorry Driver.

I even have the address that they were living in at the time of my fathers birth.
    I wonder is this of any help in finding out more details of his service during WW2. I am literally writing this moments after the discovery by my mother. Any help the forum members can offer would be greatly appreciated. I can't believe after all this time the info I may need was there all of the time.

A little more info on why this has been so hard. When my granddad passed away some 28 years ago all of his papers and so forth were lost in the house clearance as my auntie didn't think that these papers were really of any importance. This is the saddest thing really as I'm not sure what was lost and I am now slowly trying to piece together just a little bit of my granddad's past.

Ken
    Last edited by Wilko; 01-04-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling

?

Thank you very much for the link which will be very helpful
    Ken

Quote by Richie B View Post
    I have found and attached his medal card if you are interested. You will see he went to France in July 1915.

Nice group. I don't collect medals as a specialty but I do have a few which kind of centre on the WWI and WWII group of my great grandfather who served in RN and RFR through both wars which includes a 1944 DSM. I must photograph and post that.

However, it is the WWI medal trios and pairs that have always fired my imagination because of the circumstances in which they were earned.

You are on the right track with your quest for a 1914 Star (aka Mons Star) trio as they are I feel even more evocative because they represent a soldier who pretty much endured the whole thing if he was spared.

Whilst the 1914 Star indicates service very early in the war the additional clasp (5th Aug - 22nd Aug 1914) indicates that the holder was not just in theatre but was actually under fire. This was denoted by a silver rosette on the ribbon bar when the medals were not worn. Here is such a group to a soldier of The Somerset Light Infantry in my collection;

Pip, Squeek & Wilfred

It might be of interest concerning the index card (provided by RitchieB) that the issue of the British War Medal and Victory Medal being written in blue ink whilst the issue of the 14/15 Star is written in red ink tells that the star was issued first and the other two later. If they were all in blue ink this would indicate they were issued as a group as would happen if they were issued later as tends to be the case when medals were applied for after the war. The abbreviation AR with the date in 1919 indicates that he was transferred to the Army Reserve on that date which fact alone indicates he survived. I don't know what the "2" in the same abbreviation means unfortunately but maybe another member does?

I hope this is helpful and good luck finding your "Mons" group. Don't forget to post what you find.

Regards

Mark

PS You refer to the nickname "Pip Squeak and Wilfred" (after cartoon characters of 1919) but did you know that when a soldier had entered service too late to qualify for the trio his pair of BWM and VM were known as "Mutt and Jeff" (two other cartoon characters)? Our US members will certainly know Mutt and Jeff! They pre-date Pip & Co running from 1907 - 83.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-05-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thank you Mark for the extra and very helpful information. Your 1914 star trio is outstanding including the rosette and clasp. I'm still looking for the right trio to present itself and after seeing your example I now know what I aim to get.
    I didn't know about the name Mutt and Jeff for the pair together. Great nicknames for them.
    Ken

On the question raised by Watchdog

I think that it reads "A. R. Z" rather than "A. R. 2"

This refers to the Class Z reserve

"Class Z Reserve

This was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve “for the duration”, were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920."

Source:

British army reserves and reservists – The Long, Long Trail

Quote by Richie B View Post
    On the question raised by Watchdog

I think that it reads "A. R. Z" rather than "A. R. 2"

This refers to the Class Z reserve

"Class Z Reserve

This was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve “for the duration”, were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920."

Source:

British army reserves and reservists – The Long, Long Trail
    D'Oh! "Zed Reservists" Of course! Sometimes "The Bleedin' Obvious" as Monty Python called it is just that and sometimes we all just need it pointing out

Thanks Ritchie

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3