Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Please help me identify these British & French medals

Article about: Hi, I've been researching my family tree and as part of it I've got an interest in finding out what my grandfathers WW2 medals were for. Pictures are below, including certificates for some t

Degeneratemoo
    ?

Default Please help me identify these British & French medals

Hi, I've been researching my family tree and as part of it I've got an interest in finding out what my grandfathers WW2 medals were for. Pictures are below, including certificates for some that are available, there's still a few I cannot find on the internet and have no idea what they are for:

I know the first 3 (the standard WW2 medals)

and the back view....

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help me identify these British & French medals   Please help me identify these British & French medals  

Please help me identify these British & French medals   Please help me identify these British & French medals  

Please help me identify these British & French medals   Please help me identify these British & French medals  

Please help me identify these British & French medals  

Default re: Please help me identify these British & French medals

I can only see the last photo.

?

Can you try resending the pics again please mate, all I am showing is a string of red X's.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Degeneratemoo
    ?

Are they working now? Redid all of the links as using MSN skydrive and for some bizarre reason the provided external link doesn't work... showing up for me, though that could be because I'm logged in..?

Also, I haven't translated any of the certificates, if anyone could provide any information on why those medals would have been awarded, I would be grateful.

Hello and welcome..European medal, French Comerative medal with Aisen bar, Victory medal of some kind??, A United European Medal of some kind, A French Comerative Victory Medal.
    A British 1939/45 campain star, The Defence medal 39/45, The 1939/45 War MEDAL, A French Comerative Medal to the battle ot the Somme, and last of all The Dunkirk Medal, hope i am right, and if i am not i will be corrected very quickley...
    Last edited by darrenj40; 09-18-2010 at 03:35 AM.

?

Hi mate, they seem to be OK now.
    Looks like you've got a "mixed bag" medal ribbon set there because you've got British and French awards there mate.
    You have, as you are probably aware, the "standard three" of 39-45 War Medal, Defence Medal and 39-45 Star. The "Dunquerque" medal was, I believe, retrospectively awarded to BEF Dunkirk veterans but I donot know about the others. The certificates relate to these, (French), awards. Unfortunately, my French is not good enough to translate them for you, other than to say that they were all awarded to a Charles Henry Lowe of the Royal Artillery.
    Hopefully one of the guys with more knowledge on these than I will come up trumps with more info for you.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

All in all, this a very nice set of medals and certificates that I would be very proud to have on display ANY time.

Regards etc

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 09-18-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I have uploaded 10 of your pics to your first post. This is the maximum allowed. Please don't use outside hosting to avoid problems and slow picture load times.

Uploading pics to our server is free and easy to do. I have also cropped & resized your pics.

Very nice group of medals, made all the better as they are family items!

Cheers, Ade.

Degeneratemoo
    ?

Thanks for your help, will be interesting to see if others have any more info they can add.

?

Default Re: Please help me identify these British & French medals

Hi,
    You already got answers on some of them. The EU medal is the medal of the "European Confederation of old Veterans". the confederation was instituted in the 60s and the award was issued after the 80s. You also have a "Somm" WW1 french medal (left of the dunkirk one, with the shield and the yellow blue ribbon - for the WW1 battle), a Dunkirk medal issued to french and Brits in the 50's (unofficial award of the town of Dunkirk- considered as the Verdun medal of the WW2) and a medal for Aisne battle WW1, 1917(Aisne & Chemin des Dames- 1rst and 2nd battle of Aisne in WW1).
    I hope I helped a bit.