MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Cross of Valour

Article about: Thought I would post this as it might be of interest to the forum. I have a WW.1/WW.2 group, where he started out in the RFC then into the R.A.F through both wars. He was commissioned and fi

Default Polish Cross of Valour

Thought I would post this as it might be of interest to the forum.
    I have a WW.1/WW.2 group, where he started out in the RFC then into the R.A.F through both wars.

He was commissioned and finished as Air Vice Marshall sir Alexander Paul Davidson. ( put his name in google) in his medal group is the Polish cross of valour, I have the medal group and managed to get photo copies of his logbooks, photos, letters etc. one of the letters states in 1940 he was the first man on British soil to be awarded the Polish cross of valour.

I have written to the Polish museum and am waiting for any info they can give me. I would think this must now be a pretty rare group. Regards Steve

Hi Steve, be sure to let us know when you hear back. You might also want to post this in the Polish section of the forum for the interested folks there. Cheers, Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi, yes I will let you know what comes back from the polish Museum. it's a while since I sent off the details and my cheque has not been cashed as yet, when I rang they said it could take upto 6. months, but shouldn't take so long so fingers crossed. thanks

Well here's the update on my Cross of valour. After about 12. weeks I have got a reply from the Polish museum, with regards to the medal group I have to Air Vice Marshall A. P Davidson and they tell me although there's no citation as such for the medal, it was for his services during the Polish campaign of 1939, so he was the first British man to be awarded the Polish cross of valour.

From 1939-40 he was Air Attache in Warsaw and later was commander of a Polish squadron. Cheers

Hello Steve, thanks for the follow up. A unique distinction to be the first British citizen to receive this Polish award for gallantry for the opening campaign of the Second World War. Please post a photograph of the grouping. Sight unseen I'll throw a dart that it's a Spink & Son made cross - assuming it is his awarded cross that is contained in the medal group.

Photo off the web of Air Vice Marshal Sir Alexander Davidson:

Polish Cross of Valour

Spink & Son Polish Cross of Valour:

Polish Cross of Valour

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Tony, I will post picture of his group and a few bits of paperwork. I also have copies of some photos of him with Polish officers.

I would imagine that his medal group is pretty unique, now with all the archive of info I have with it. Cheers Steve

Hello Steve, I look forward to seeing photos of the grouping along with the period photos of him in the company of Polish officers. Would you have any objections to having this thread moved to the Polish section?

Regards, Tony

Default Polish Cross of valour.

Polish Cross of Valour

Here's a picture of the medal group to Airvice Marshall Sir Alexander Paul Dividson, with his polish cross of valour.

Alex Davidson
    ?

Hi Steve,

I am a descendant of Sir Alexander (he was my grandfather's uncle and I share his name!). I was just wondering where you managed to find his medals? I believe he died without children and so I thought they had been lost in the mists of time!

Cheers

Alex