Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

it is possible to tell if a dog tag is original of the ww2?

Article about:

?

Default it is possible to tell if a dog tag is original of the ww2?

it is possible to tell if a dog tag is original of the ww2?it is possible to tell if a dog tag is original of the ww2?it is possible to tell if a dog tag is original of the ww2?

Default Re: it is possible to tell if a dog tag is original of the ww2?

Not ww2.
    I think 60s
    chris

Actually i think this dog tag is earlier than the 60s as they stopped using the machine to stamp these in the 50s (I believe) the notch on the dog tag is to properly position it in the machine for stamping and is not for placing between the teeth of a deceased soldier for later identification, that's an old wives tale. One tag was always left on the deceased soldier's body and the other was taken for accountability purposes.

DocRoe, I think ww2 navy, and their reserves had circular shaped dog tags.

?

The navy did have the circular shaped dog tags I think this is from the 50s which would make sense because the ribbon bars seem to be from the same time period

Quote by sargetom View Post
    Actually i think this dog tag is earlier than the 60s as they stopped using the machine to stamp these in the 50s (I believe) the notch on the dog tag is to properly position it in the machine for stamping and is not for placing between the teeth of a deceased soldier for later identification, that's an old wives tale. One tag was always left on the deceased soldier's body and the other was taken for accountability purposes.
    They stop using the notch in 1964.
    The serial number is not one from ww2.
    chris

i agree with all above 50s dogtag maybe a Korean war vet !!! not a lot of value hear they are pretty common !! i always thought that dogtags where under valued though i mean a soldier wore those everywhere he went during his service years imagine if they could talk !!

?

thank you friends for helping me.

Quote by ww2relichunter View Post
    i agree with all above 50s dogtag maybe a Korean war vet !!! not a lot of value hear they are pretty common !! i always thought that dogtags where under valued though i mean a soldier wore those everywhere he went during his service years imagine if they could talk !!
    Some US dog tags sell for big money.
    ww2 US dog tags have 8 numbers.
    chris